Need info. and op. manual on old Sea King

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggly

Cadet
I bought an old single cyl. Sea King, Mod. #64EA-9002A Ser. # 381-04806. Anyone know where to look? Also am looking for what year it is. Thx. Bill

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Need info. and op. manual on old Sea King

I bought an old single cyl. Sea King, Mod. #64EA-9002A Ser. # 381-04806. Anyone know where to look? Also am looking for what year it is. Thx. Bill

That's' not a valid number for a Sea King outboard. Have another look at the motor, probably on the transom mount, and see if you can't find a number that contains GG or a three-letter combination with some numbers.

With that info, we can identify the year and type of motor you have.

The number you have probably came off the engine, and is a number from the company that built the engine. In order to run it down, we need the Wards model number.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if you have a motor from the last few years before Monkey Wards closed.Is it a really small motor about 20 lbs.Air cooled (look for fins on
the flywheel and power head)?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That's really wierd. 64GG-XXXX would mean a 1946 something. But it doesn't match up with 9002A. However, a GG9002A is a 1956 twin cyliner 5hp. Whatcha go there, a conglomeration?

wiggly

Cadet

Nope , It's a single cyl. 2 stroke. The numbers I gave came from the tag rivited on the clamp assy. There are no more numbers I can find.

wiggly

Cadet

The numbers I gave are from the tag rivited on the transom mount. Montgomery Wards name is on there too. Those are the model # and serial # I listed. It's a single cyl., water cooled thingy, (weighs about 15 or 20 lbs.) the spark plug sticks straight up just behind the flywheel,,2 blade prop. about 4 in. long, gas tank on the front. (PS. Single transom mount clamp screw.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I suspect it is an Evinrude model 381. One horsepower, 1946. That sound reasonable? Evinrude built MW's motors prior to Gale.

wiggly

Cadet

The numbers I gave were the Wards numbers from the tag rivited on the transom mount. Model 64EA-9002A, serial # 381-04806. Montgomery Ward name is on the plate also.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I realize what you are saying. But Wards didn't actually make the motor, it was made by somebody else. Most were made by Gale or, more recently, Chrysler. So everybody (including me) jumped to conclusions and figured it must be a Gale (64GG) model number. But it isn't. So that leaves Evinrude, Keikhaefer (Mercury), Thor, Clinton, and a couple of others that escape me at the moment that also made motors for Wards.

What I am suggesting now is that it might be one of the Evinrude-built motors before Gale. I am saying that because of the EA -E(vinrude)A- in the model number and 381-xxxx in the serial number. The year matches up, 1946, which is the 64xx backwards. Model 381 Evinrude was also built in 1946-47.

That does not mean that there would be any other indication of it's Evinrude parentage on the motor. It would have Sea King decals and Ward's catalog numbers. Wards would have sold it for less money than the price at an Evinrude dealer, so dealers wouldn't stand for any indication that it's the same thing. They'd probably go even further by saying that it was made with left-over or inferior parts.

There weren't all that many people making outboards in 1946, after the close of WWII. Everybody was scrambling to get back into civilian production.

All this is in vain if it is not an Evinrude. But that is where my money lays. Anybody wanna bet? Naw, I don't gamble.

wiggly

Cadet

The number I gave was Model#64EA-9002A Serial # 381-04806

wiggly

Cadet

Thanks to imported_F_R, I'll dig around Evinrude. The paint on this thing is shot and someone had sanded the tank to bare metal. (for repair I guess) No decals were present. The only ID I have is the tag on the transom mount and the Sea King name on the rope-pull pulley on top of the flywheel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I know. How else can I say it? 64 means 1946. That's the way Sea Kings were coded in those days. The E in EA means it was built by Evinrude. The rest of the number is the catalog number. Wards was a catalog retailer. 381- in the serial number is the Evinrude model number. The rest is the numerical serial number.

I think you should visit the Antique Outboard Motor Club's website www.aomci.org and post the model number on their Ask-A-Member forum. Somebody there probably has a picture they can post for verification. Your unbelief is about to have me doubting myself. That's OK, I have been wrong before.

wiggly

Cadet

Yes, I know. How else can I say it? 64 means 1946. That's the way Sea Kings were coded in those days. The E in EA means it was built by Evinrude. The rest of the number is the catalog number. Wards was a catalog retailer. 381- in the serial number is the Evinrude model number. The rest is the numerical serial number.

I think you should visit the Antique Outboard Motor Club's website www.aomci.org and post the model number on their Ask-A-Member forum. Somebody there probably has a picture they can post for verification. Your unbelief is about to have me doubting myself. That's OK, I have been wrong before.
Thanks for the web site. I'll check it out. wiggly

Piller2

Recruit

Nope , It's a single cyl. 2 stroke. The numbers I gave came from the tag rivited on the clamp assy. There are no more numbers I can find.
I know this is very old, but to keep any others from seeing this thread in a search and not finding what they need let me clarify the answer. What you are looking at is a 1938 Thor made for Montgomery Wards. The Thor factory was sold to a legend in outboards named Carl Kieikhaefer who took the remaining stock of Thors, made some engineering changes and sold them to raise working funds. He then went on to develop the Mercury engines. Plenty of internet information on him and his early period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.