mercruiser V8 228p 1978-Lucasoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
I've read at a relative thread that it would be a good idea for my engine to use the lucas oil with stabilizer.May somebody tell me if this is an additional to the normal oil or it's used as it is?Can you give me the exact type of this oil and the quantity i need?Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: mercruiser V8 228p 1978-Lucasoil ?

It's just Another Snake Oil Additive.......

You Don't Need it......

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't want to get in an argument with Bond-o as I have much respect for his mechanical knowledge and political views; but, my Nascar engine builder friend says that the EPA had mandated that certain additives be removed from oil used in passenger cars as they are no longer needed with modern roller camshaft engines. Your boats engine probably has a flat tappet camshaft and still needs phosphorous to protect the metal to metal contact from galling. He recommends GM's EOS or at least some additive for these engines. EOS (Engine oil suppliment) comes in pint bottles and I use one at every oil change on my flat tappet engines. I add it first and top off with oil to proper level. Overfilling the crankcase as just as bad as underfilling as it causes aireation from the crankshaft churning up the oil. Ben says that racing oil has these additives but is marked for off road use only. The bottle of EOS says not to use it except on a newly rebuilt engine for break-in so as not to anger the EPA.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You can still get diesel oils with ample phosporous in it. Both Standard Delo and Shell Rotella.

Bondo

Staff member

Or just go Full Syn-Oil.........

I was in abit of a Hurry whe I posted that response,......
So,... I'll clarify it abit........

Generally,....... Snake Oil is Just That........

The Lucas products May, or May Not be Better or Worse than the Others.........

Personally,...... I view them All as the Same,...........
Snake Oil.......Is Usually Better at parting You from your Money,..........
Than they are at Protecting or Fixing your motor........

Status
Not open for further replies.