Wrong Plugs

LubeDude

Admiral
I never though about checking untill tonight. I knew the 1996 200 Johnson I have now had a surface gap plug in it and just assumed they were the right plugs. Turns out that it`s suppose to have a regular plug. The Champion # is QL 16v that is in it. I keep hearing that I should use only Champion plugs in my Johnson. But I`m an NGK kinda Guy. I would use Champion if it`s the prefered plug though. It`s been Idling crappy and sometimes dies, Maybe this is the reason.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Wrong Plugs

Hey Lube Dude,

The QL16V plug is mainly for commercial use where the motor is running under load for long periods of time as it gives longer life, at an expensive price.

Your engine should be using the Champion QL78YC plug gapped to .030". It is a traditional design plug with an extended nose which helps for idle and low speed drivability.

IF you still have a poor idle, make sure the thermostats are warming up both heads to around 140?, and that sync and link are correct and the carbs and recirculation valves are clean. Running a can or two of Engine Tuner thru it helps idle if the rings are sticking slightly and it helps clean the recirculation valves.

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks for the reply, I picked up a set of the Champion QL78YC plugs this morning. I have never liked Champion plugs, I guess we will see.

Actually, the Idle was just a bit off, the dieing part was the pain. At Idle, all of a sudden it would just quit like you shut off the key. It never coughed or anything else. The initial throttle responce was sluggish also. Made it hard to load the boat on the trailer.

As much as I have talked about SeaFoam, would you think I hadn`t done that already. :) :) :) :) :)

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard that NGK's tend to run a bit hotter in OMC's, that's something your not gonna want to happen. I have only ever used Champion's in my OMC's and I have never had a single plug problem, never fouled or anything and I run at least 100hrs a season on the same set of plugs, and do a lot of slow trolling. Never any issue, Champion is a good strong plug in my book.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only issue I have with Champion Plugs is the center and ground electrodes are misaligned laterally about 15% of the time. The ground electrode just needs a little sideways tweak during the gapping process.

LubeDude

Admiral

The only issue I have with Champion Plugs is the center and ground electrodes are misaligned laterally about 15% of the time. The ground electrode just needs a little sideways tweak during the gapping process.

Yes, I noticed that also, and the new ones I just bought were no different. I just did as you said and treaked them a bit. I wonder how much difference it actually makes?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The misalignment probably doesn't matter but it's the principle of the thing. Isn't it just as easy to make them right as it is to make them wrong??

LubeDude

Admiral

This wasn`t 15%, this was 100%. I may find out this afternoon if the plug change helps with my problem.