meaning of the word bellows

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hi first off i have a lot of mechanical back round. rebuilt my own outboards. worked on cars for years. have my boat in a shop. should have did it myself but i will stop chatting about that.
i would like to know what the words bellows mean on 89 5,7 alpha 1. the reason i have a shop manual . i get confused over that words. do that know their exact meaning. and are afraid of these words . but will think of knothing to put a trans in a mr2 rear engine car. timing belts on my 6 cly cars. please explain
bob/philly
thanks in advance

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: meaning of the word bellows

If you look on the outside of your boat, in the space between the drive & the transom, you will see accordian looking tubes that are made of rubber....
Those are the bellows......;)

delsol

so they are just rubber boots put on with special tools if needed. their are no metal bellows parts that get replaced
bob

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

No, but they are very important.......;)

SuperNova

Lieutenant

"their are no metal bellows parts that get replaced"

Yeah, the clamps that hold the bellows on.:D

delsol

thank you i feel better now. bellows sounds like a major hard part to replace. like a engine piston or something.
bob

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well, it ain't all that pleasant.......;)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........

On a scale of 1 to 10,............. I'd rate is about a 14.........:D

Most the the Special Tools you can possibly get by Without,........
'cept for the First-Aid Kit.......

DHPMARINE

Captain

No,not as difficult as replacing a piston,but nasty enough if you need all 3 bellows,a shift cable and a gimbal bearing.Happens alot,can take as much as 5 hours.Or worse.

DHP

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll take the piston anyday.... I hate pulling that drive and changing those things. I paid to have a shop do it once, and they did such a poor job, I ended up doing it again myself. I do it every 2 years and I dont have problems.

delsol

my boat sat a very long time engine is out of the boat drive is off . the dealer has had the boat way to long . and i think it would be smart to replace it all bellows and shift cable. is it possible the bellows are still good after sitting for years???the shop put in a gimble bearing and said nothing about the bellows. i really had to give this guy another dime. as on the first my boat will be at his shop 4 months. it was going to be a winter fill in but ??
bob

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

If they are more than five years old, I would replace them......;)