time to paint my outboard...

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
What is the best way to remove paint from an outboard? I have a 1985 Johnson 90hp that has blistering paint all over. I was hoping that I can brush on some striper, but I don't want to use anything that will harm the aluminum.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: time to paint my outboard...

Paint stripper will work and will take it all the way down to bare aluminum. Oven cleaner is easier to work with, spray it on, wait, hose it off, and generally will not take the primer off. Try to keep either one off of rubber parts and gaskets, as they will eat those too. Clean with a diluted water-vinegar mix, wash again with water only and when dry apply a zinc-chromate, self-etching primer. Then the top coat of your choice. Make sure the primer and top coat you choose are compatible...same brand generally means same chemistry. I like the dupli-color enamels/primers available at most auto parts stores, followed by a UV-resisant clear coat if you really want it to shine.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: time to paint my outboard...

I'm using Kleen-Strip Strip-X Stripper from Wal-mart to strip a '57 Johnson. It's pretty much off-the-shelf stuff but it's working good. It immediately removes the Dupli-color junk somebody put on it, the original paint underneath with a little more effort, and is not affecting the green zinc chromate primer hardly at all. When finished, I'll finish sand it, wash with TSP or Tide, spray with etching primer, and spray with single stage acrylic enamel. That's all the exterior and any internal parts that I remove (starter bracket, recoil starter, etc).
The powerhead itself is so intricate, I'm not sure stripper or sanding either one would be successful. For it, I'm planning on cleaning well with kerosene, then with Tide or TSP, maybe rinse with vinegar solution, then a final wipe/rinse with laquer thinner before priming and painting. It probably won't last another 50 years, but my kids will sell it long before that.

That's the process I used on a '56 Javelin last year and it turned out great.

I'd be afraid of oven cleaner. It's high alkali and would eat aluminum like a dog eating hamburger.