Brands of spark plug wires

lakelover

Rear Admiral
I have a '99 Cavalier with a 2.2 stock engine...I had some work done on it recently and the guy recommended a new plug wire set as I still have the originals after 84000 miles.

He said to go with the original Chev. replacements, even though I would do it myself.

Anyone have any recommendations for brands to use for stock set replacement? Any reason besides personal preference to go with OEM?

Thanks.

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Brands of spark plug wires

yeah! just don't buy cheap ones, I have great performance and long life from echlin wires from napa, if you plan to keep the car just go to any parts store and buy the best wires, call your dealer and price them first sometimes the oem are cheaper

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IMO I would go OEM. No radio problems and that ingition stsyem is very picky. The modules are famous for just going bad w/o warning. That 2.2 is a real good motor if cared for.

puddle jumper

Captain

Im with the others go with the best you can get.In my opinion stay away from Autolight plugs and wires.OEM wires fit better and jobber wire tend to be to longer than stock.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1998 Cavalier 2.2 and I got replacements from my local advance auto parts. One thing about that engine is it likes the OEM sparkplugs, there AC Delco I forget what number but they are expensive. I tried some Bosch ones for a while but the idle was considerably better with the delcos.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yep,AC plugs and OEM or at least the best 8mm Napa wires..:D

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've personally had good luck with the Autolite wires (the Advance Auto Exact wires are junk though). I'd bet the Echlins would be good. I bought a cap and rotor kit for my Nissan in that brand. A little more expensive that others, but 2nd to none in quality. I agree on the plugs. ACs for GM cars, Autolites for Fords, Champions for Dodges, NKGs or Densos for Japanese makes.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Thanks, folks, a lot to think about. My mechanic was adamant that OEM would be best for that car, so I guess that's the way I'll go. He's a guy who knows engines inside & out and did me a big favor getting me in for major engine work THE NEXT DAY! I owe him big time!