Let the testing begin!

LubeDude

Admiral
OK, to start off, it`s a 1996 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 19 1/2' with a 3 ltr Johnson Limeted Edition 200 HP. I have all but confermed that the true HP of this engine is 225.

I have only rung it out one time without a GPS and the boat speedo says 68-69 MPH @ 5,900 RPM Fully tournament loaded and two people and fully trimmed out with the roostertail lower than the cowling and no more to go. I`ve ordered trim exteders. The boat has a manual Jack plate , not sure if it`s an 8 or a 6". I havn`t measured the hight yet. It`s high though because the top water holes on the lower unit have been epoxied shut. The prop is an older Raker [which I have heard are better than the new ones] 14 1/2 X 26P. I have a set of the new plastic Smart tabs but havn`t installed them yet.

I loved the Scorpion that Walleyehed loaned me last year. I have never seen a prop with as much bow lift as that prop had. But, because of the large amount of rake and the 15" size, I`m unsure as to which pitch I will need. I had a 25 Scorpion I think and I was running a 25 High five at 5,700 RPM. The Solas dropped me to around 5,200. The Solas was about 2" larger but the same pitch. A 25 Scorpion might drop me too much, but I could raise the engine some more with it. The Turbo Lightning in a 14 3/4 X 27 Might just be the ticket. Anyone have one I could try?

Everything I do to the set up will be listed in this thread.

I know this boat has 70+ MPH in it with the right set up.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Let the testing begin!

Well, I just ordered a new 15 1/8" X 26 Solas Scorpion. I can raise the engine some with this prop and it should put me around 5,500- 5,700 RPM. If you have never seen one of these props, they have rake on them that you can`t beleive. If you lay it on the floor it will stand on it`s ears with about an inch or two gap up to the hub.

LubeDude

Admiral

Just to bring this back to the top so I can find it next time.

I have everything now to start testing. I`m having the link and sync done next week and after that I will start adding parts.

Being tested will be the new Plastic Smart Tabs and a New Solas Scorpion 15 1/2" X 26P.

Base line yesterday with a 26P 14 1/2 26P Raker was 65.2 GPS @ 6,000 RPM.

Ron G

Commander

Im betting on lower 70 for sure!!good going LD!!keep us informed,how ya like the lower rpm end of the rude?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Turbo Lightning would indeed be a good choice since you need bow lift. But it would need to be run higher than where you're at now. And guess what? I know where there's a 26 and a 27 - both hubbed for OMC!

LubeDude

Admiral

The Turbo Lightning would indeed be a good choice since you need bow lift. But it would need to be run higher than where you're at now.

I havn`t got around to doing a pad to shaft measurement yet but should have time to do that this weekend. No doubt about it that it needs to go up some. Right now I can trim to the max and the roostertail isn`t even cowl high. If I end up around 5,3-4 or 5,500 RPM`s, is that ok for this engine? I`m hoping for around 5,700 or so.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Limited Edition should have the rev limiter at 6700. At 5700 it's just starting to breathe good........

The tail at about cowl high is probably about right. What we're "seeing" is that you run 100% trim to carry the bow. That means youve got a lot of positive trim angle which means the propshaft is way past parallel to the surface. The ideal situation is that the hull is as free of the water as possible (least drag) with the propshaft about parallel to the water's surface. That means all the thrust is moving the hull forward. With too much positive trim some of the thrust is spent trying to keep the nose up and can add gearcase drag. Think of the gearcase running thru the water, tail up.

Props like a Lightning are made to carry as much of the nose as possible so you don't have to use so much positive trim angle. I'm kinda surprised a Stratos doesn't have more natural bow lift.

LubeDude

Admiral

Lake conditions were:

Light wind 5-10 MPH

Water temp 60*

Slight ripple on the water

Perfect for testing.

OK, With the 14 1/2" X 26P Raker, the top speed was 65.2 GPS, all the way trimmed out. 5,900-6,000 RPM Poor hole shot.

Pad to shaft measurement was 5".

Raised the engine to 3 1/2" above pad. Water preasure still good. Speed 67.3 GPS.

Changed to the new 15 1/8" X 26P Solas Scorpion. Terrable hole shot but top speed 71GPS @ 5,800 RPM. Amazing bow lift.

Installed the new Plastic Smart Tabs in the middle hole. 80# actuators. Awesome hole shot, bow down where it should be, but top speed was 68.8 GPS and the boat porposed mildly at WOT. Adjusted the tabs to the next lightest setting. Also moved the pin that controls the negative trim up one hole. Hole shot even better. Still some mild porposing at WOT. Speed 69.1 GPS.

Moved the actuators to the lightest setting and hole shot still great, speed now 69.8 GPS @ 5,900. Very very minor porpose at WOT and full trim. I will ask John to send me a pair of 60# actuators. Too much downward push still.

Boat handles incredably, no hint of chinewalk, Just get up and go.

When I get the new actuators, I am going to raise the engine another 1/4-1/2" as my water preasure is still solid.

The magic 70 MPH barrier has been broken.