Trim sending unit not working properly?

tinny

Cadet
HI,
I have a 1989 Johnson150GT. I have been having problems with the tilt/trim guage. I removed the sensor from the mounting, moved the lever manually and the guage works fine.
When I remount it, it stays in the down position and will not move no matter the position of the motor.
Any ideas?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Trim sending unit not working properly?

Is the motor coming into contact with the sensor when it is being trimmed?​

tinny

Cadet

HI stud,
Not untill the motor is almost ALL the way down. I will try to get a pic tomorrow and post it if that will help. It appears to be the right sensor, and it can only be mounted one way.

BoatingWith6

Recruit

I have the same problem with my 1988 Four Winns 205 Sundowner. OMC 4.3 Liter COBRA engine. I bought the boat 2 yrs ago and the gauge never worked. Gauge is getting 12 volts and when you have it under power and short the ground with the sender wire the gauge goes down. I took out the sending unit and it had all kinds of gunk caked on it. With the ignition on, moving the lever gets the gauge to work. I cleaned the sender and reinstalled it. IT still works if i move the lever by hand. Moving the out drive does not get the gauge to move at all. It appears that the outdrive is not even coming close to touching the senders activating arm. My question is there another piece of steel/plastic arm that pushes on the sender? I moved the out drive almost all the way to the down position and it is still a good inch from touching the actuator arm. Any ideas?

Last edited:

BoatingWith6

Recruit

The electrical situation gets tested the same on either boat but I guess I should have noted that my boat is a stern drive. I am trying to locate some diagram to see if something attaches to the actuating arm of the sender. Thanks.

tinny

Cadet

Well, BoatingWith6, it seems as we are the only two people with this problem and no one knows how to fix it. If you come across a solution let me know, as I will let you know if I get this resolved somehow.