crack in lower unit 89 85hp force

ejm845

Cadet
I woke up this spring to a inch and a half on the lower unit about an inch below the gear oil fill holes on foot.I did not know about winterizing lower unit till this happend (philaphia area cold) is this something that can be welded or epoxyed or is there another resonable cost solution any help would be apprecated thanks in advance

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: crack in lower unit 89 85hp force

Welding and epoxying are not options. Sorry. The metal is porous and gearlube pollutes the pores making welding difficult to do effectively. Epoxy won't stick. Your best viable solution is a used gearcase. Check eBay.

Or is the crack down on the skeg below the bullet? That can be welded. But it wouldn't be cracked from freeze damage.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey EmJ! I'm in the Philly area also --West Chester. I have a couple of those gearcases laying around. If you want to take a look, let me know. Frank

ejm845

Cadet

hi frank thanks for the offer.yes I would be interested maybe this weekend I may be able to make it out to take a look . im not far im in havertown do you have an idea how much you would be asking

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Bring your gearcase with you so I can take a look at it. I'm actually in West Whiteland. Worked at the gum company in Havertown for a while. Take route 3 down to 352 to Boot road to Grove Methodist Church. Left at church. First right onto southern, first right onto Memory. You'll see the boats. Sunday would be better because As of now I am supposed to work Sat. If you need to come Saturday, it needs to be after 4:30. Let me know--TonyonMemory@yahoo.com

My gearcases are empty so I would only ask a little. certainly less than on e-bay but you need to see them first and make a decision. If you don't feel up to it, I'll put your gear pack into the case and you'll be all ready to go.