Losing RPM

Robby662

Cadet
I have completely repaired my Mercruiser 3.0 140 engine and drive unit. Everything is ok except for one thing. When I take a curve or turn at WOT I lose RPM, even after I straighten back up and get going good it loses from about 4800 down to about 4100 and stays that way until I throttle back down and start over, then it goes back up to 4800. Have no clue if this is serious but it does not seem right. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Losing RPM

Is there Any Play in the Throttle Cable,..??....

How Old a boat are we talking about,..??....

Robby662

Cadet

1985 - I seen the receipt were all the cables were replaced 2 years ago. It goes into gear smooth and other than just losing the RPM in turns, I can not tell there is anything wrong. It does not hesitate in straight aways as far as the throttle goes.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Is the boat actually slowing down or is it just the tach that appears to be reading wrong ?

Robby662

Cadet

You can tell it is slowing down. My speedometer does not work but the sound pitch of the engine is different also. I guess it would have to be a cable. I made sure when I took the manifold off to leave the linkage and stuff exactly the same when I put it back on. I hate to even mess with it seeing how it is so close. It just bogs down in a curve and will not completely recover.:confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It should recover as soon as you straighten out. If it doesn't, I'd suspect a gummy carb. Put some Berryman's B-12 in the tank, following their instructions (WalMart). Don't over-do it. If it doesn't correct in a tank or two, do a carb rebuild.

Also check to make sure all the screws that hold the top of the carb to the bottom are snug.

Robby662

Cadet

Is it better than seafoam? (berrymans) I got all the old gas out and added the seafoam per instructions with new gas. I notice it started smoking a little after the seafoam. I would have never guessed the carb. I am sure it is due. If berrymans is better, will it hurt to add that AND seafoam, seeing how the seafoam is already in there.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I'm not for the mechanic in a can, although they do have their places. I would not add another mechanic on the same job. Let the first one see if he can fix it. :D