Trouble starting Johnson 9.5 after running

WarrenW

Seaman Apprentice
I just aquired a Johnson 9.5 outboard from the early 70s. It looks in great condition. And when i crank it, it cranks on the first pull. After running it any length of time, when it cuts off or turns off by me, its hard to crank again. Sometimes I have to pull the choke out and push it in, etc. And sometimes it just does not crank.

Any suggestions of where I should start on it? Or just take it somewhere to service?

Thanks!

Warren

WarrenW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trouble starting Johnson 9.5 after running

Also, when i got the motor and sat it down on my drivewat, I had a little bit of gas coming out of the bottom half way down the foot. The motor was shipped to me upside down in a box so not sure if that just caused the fuel to get like that. And I assume this was 50:1 on the oil fuel mixure. Maybe I just bought someone elses problems...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You should not need much choke on the restart, but you may need to squeeze the fuel bulb each time. The float is cork and may be a little heavy, so the best place to start is with a rebuilt carburetor. Make sure that the rebuild kit you buy has a new float. The kit is part #382,048.​

Make sure that the screws holding the fuel pump to the engine are snug, and that the gasket between th fuel pump and the engine is in good condition.​

Be sure that when you run the motor in a bucket the water level is well above the top of the water pump. You should have water spitting out of the exhaust relief all of the time.​

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check the ignition, especially the coils. They warm up and won't fire, and are OK once they cool down. One good thing, they are super easy to get to. One nut on the flywheel, use a puller to get it off and there you are!