BAD news, Somebody SHOOT ME!!!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
This test is on THURSDAY, two days away<br /><br />Naturally, IVe been cranking out the other paper<br /><br />Stricken, sick looking classmates have come to me, how you doing with the test Ray?<br /><br />No wonder they are sick! LOL<br /><br />What the hell am I laughing for?? wheres my gun????<br /><br /> :p <br /><br />Exam #1: Scheduled for Thursday, October 9. <br />Exam will consist primarily of multiple choice items. Responses will be made on a computer-scanned response sheet; please bring a #2 lead pencil.<br />There will also be one short essay question. <br />This is a rough outline of the lectures, etc., corresponding to many of the materials in Chapters 1-2, half of 3, and part of 4, plus research methodology, ethical issues, and basic statistics. This is NOT intended to be a substitute for notes taken in class. However, the questions in this outline might help you to better organize the major points presented in the lectures and your text. <br /><br />Research Methodology<br />I. Methodology<br />A. basic terms, concepts, and principles: be able to define and provide/recognize examples<br />1. sample vs population<br />2. parameter vs statistic<br />3. continuous vs discrete variable/bar graph vs histogram<br />4. reliability<br />5. validity<br />6. characteristics of true experimental design; difference between true and quasi-experimental designs, including such concepts as,<br />a. hypothesis vs theory<br />b. independent variable<br />c. dependent variable<br />d. operational definitions<br />e. confounding/extraneous variable<br />f. between-subject vs within-subject design<br />g. demand characteristics<br />h. experimenter effects<br />i. placebo effect<br />j. matching<br />k. counterbalancing<br />l. single-blind vs double-blind studies<br />7. potential threats to internal validity and strategies to control confounding variables<br />8. internal and external validity<br />9. random sample vs biased sample<br />10. basic descriptive statistics (e.g., mean, standard deviation, variance, etc.)<br />11. the concepts behind hypothesis testing: the null hypothesis, alternative hypothesis, alpha levels, critical regions, Type I and Type II errors<br />II. What are the major ethical principles to be considered when using humans in psychological research? be able to explain how each is handled by APA guidelines<br />A. consent; informed consent<br />B. risk, risk/benefit ratio; minimal risk<br />C. privacy<br />D. use of deception<br />E. debriefing<br />F. ethical treatment of animals<br />G. ethical treatment of data<br />H. ethical reporting of research<br />III. Basics of SPSS for Windows<br />A. what is a rectangular matrix? how are data entered? how are data files accessed and saved?<br />B. how would you interpret the output window from SPSS for an independent samples t-test? a repeated measures t-test?<br /><br />General Overview<br />I. What are the dominant issues from perception?<br />A. what is the difference between sensation and perception?<br />B. what general approaches have historically been used in the study of perception?<br />1. how do the constructivist, Gestalt psychology, direct perception, neurophysiological, and computational approaches differ? are there similarities?<br />C. how does neural transmission work? what is a neuron? what is an axon? what is a neurotransmitter? what happens at the synapse? what is an action potential? are there constraints on the action potential? what does the all-or-none principle refer to? what is a refractory period? <br /><br />Psychophysics<br />I. What is classical psychophysics? <br />A. what was the original function of psychophysics? who was responsible for developing the procedures originally used in psychophysics? <br />1. what is a psychometric function? how is it represented?<br />B. how is psychophysics used to measure detection?<br />1. what is absolute threshold? <br />2. what 3 psychophysical methods did Fechner develop to measure absolute threshold? <br />a. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the method of limits? how is absolute threshold determined?<br />b. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the method of constant stimuli? what are catch trials and how do they function?<br />c. what are the advantages and disadvantages of the method of adjustment?<br />C. how is psychophysics used to measure discrimination?<br />1. what is a difference threshold and how did Weber attempt to measure it?<br />2. what is a just noticeable difference (JND)?<br />3. how is indirect scaling different from direct scaling?<br />a. what are the four basic scales of measurement?<br />4. what is Weber’s fraction (or Weber’s constant), and what does it describe?<br />5. what is Fechner’s law? what does it describe? how is the function determined and what are its characteristics? <br />6. what more contemporary psychophysical methods were introduced by Stevens?<br />a. what is magnitude estimation? how is it used?<br />b. what modifications did Stevens make to Fechner’s law? what is Stevens’ power law? how does it differ from Fechner’s law?<br />D. what is signal detection theory? <br />1. from where is signal detection theory derived? what assumptions must be true?<br />2. what is a hit? miss? false alarm? correct rejection?<br />3. what is the difference between sensitivity and response bias? how can response bias be manipulated? what is a payoff matrix?<br />4. why are the noise and signal+noise distributions thought to be normal? what is the criterion (b)? what does d’ (d-prime) measure? how they represented on the distributions?<br />5. what is a receiver operating characteristics curve (ROC curve)? how can you interpret it?<br />E. how did conventional interpretations of absolute threshold explain subliminal perception? what is subliminal perception thought to be? <br /><br />General Optics and Basic Visual Function<br />I. Describe the characteristics of light and their relation to perception<br />A. how is light measured? what is the classic function describing light? <br />1. what is meant by wavelength and how is it measured? what is a nanometer (nm)?<br />2. what perceptual experience is associated with wavelength?<br />3. what perceptual experience is associated with amplitude/intensity?<br />B. what is referred to by radiance, illuminance, luminance, and reflectance (albedo)?<br />C. describe the basic anatomy of the eye. especially, what functions do the cornea, pupil, lens, and retina play in vision? <br />1. what types of visual deficiencies can occur due to abnormalities of the eye structures? <br />a. what is myopia, hypermetropia? what are the causes?<br />b. what is astigmatism and what causes it?<br />c. what problems can occur when maintenance structures fail? what is glaucoma? what are cataracts? <br />2. how does vision change with age? <br />a. what is presbyopia?<br />b. what other changes occur?<br />D. what are the characteristics of the retina?<br />1. what are the 3 layers of the retina? <br />2. describe the characteristics of the macula, fovea, and periphery of the retina<br />a. what are the 2 types of photoreceptors? how are rods and cones distributed across the retina? how else do rods and cones differ?<br />3. what is the optic disk? how does that relate to the blind spot?<br />4. what are ganglion cells? how do the connections between photoreceptors and ganglion cells affect sensitivity and acuity?<br />a what is a receptive field? describe a center-surround receptive field.<br />b. what are the 2 major types of ganglion cells in the retina? what are the basic characteristics of the parvo cells, the magno cells?<br />E. describe lateral inhibition. how can lateral inhibition explain simultaneous brightness contrast? for the Hermann’s grid illusion?<br />1. what are Mach bands? can this phenomenon be explained by lateral inhibition? how?<br />II. What are the two major visual systems?<br />A. how are photopic and scotopic vision different? what photoreceptors are responsible?<br />B. how do rods and cones differ in their sensitivity to light?<br />1. what is the overall difference in sensitivity?<br />a. what are the 4 types of acuity? how do detection, Vernier, resolution, and recognition each measure acuity?<br />b. what factors affect absolute threshold? what is Ricco’s law? what is Bloch’s law?<br />2. what do spectral sensitivity curves measure and what do they tell us about day and night vision?<br />C. how do rods and cones differ in their ability to adapt to changes in light intensity?<br />1. what is dark adaptation? light adaptation?<br />D. what is the Purkinje shift? what implications does this have for general day and night vision?<br /><br />Jesus Christ! well, at least she didnt make it REALLY hard ... like making us fill the answers in by sticking a pen up our azz and writing in squatscrit!<br /><br /> :mad: :mad:

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: BAD news, Somebody SHOOT ME!!!

Ok, you asked for it...
badass.gif

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

::grumble::<br /><br />dammn bulletproof chest!<br /><br />quick! some KRYPTONITE!!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Ok Ray who's the student? What the Major and where are they going. I put myself thru Night school and completed a Double Major in Finance/Management. Graduated in May of 2001. Transferred in 33 Credits and completed in just over 3 years. <br /><br />Some of the Best and worst times in my life. We had the Commodre during mid-terms, talk about stress. You can get thru it just repeat back everything they said during class that was important then dazzle them with BS.<br /><br />Worked for me Graduated with Honors and a 3.75 gpa. :D

sloopy

Commander

I think ray is the student

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I think I'm confussed. :confused: :confused:

aspeck

Staff member

Hey, the ethical treatment of animals part should be easy - shoot 'em and eat 'em.<br /><br />The ethical treatment of humans should also be easy, take a page from SBN and BOMB 'EM!<br /><br />There, that should help you with two parts of the test. And remember, everybody is crazy and has all kinds of mental defects.<br /><br />The essay should be easy for you, I have read your BS here and you can dazzle the best of 'em! So, go get 'em Ray!

cotterman

Chief Petty Officer

sounds kinda easy ray...they're all TRUE, no FALSE.....no no TRUE!! :D

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dominant issue in perception: "Well, the way I see it is........." :D

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

LOL, wellllllll I may have an affinity towards the obsfucation of clarity via a barrage of nomenclature which may or may not be wholly germain to the issue *coff* but silly me, Ive had her before and she was the better of the two evils ... she gives multiple guess format tests, the differentiation between the answers is often more difficult than the vivisection of a single remaining nerve ... oft called "the last nerve" ... <br /><br />at least Ill get the short essay part right, lol, dammn why cant she make it all essay, I could just blather on for hours and say nothin ..<br /><br />yanno, like here!!!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Sounds like the Psych test from he11. I had a few of those in college. My biggest problem was with the liberal wackos teaching the class, the screwy test were just the icing on the cake. They HATED it when I passed :D

KennyKenCan

Commander

This is why I became an Engineer instead of a Doctor!!!!<br /><br />Kenny

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Geez I'm glad I didn't go to College.....see what it did to you guys? Spoutin' $.89 words that I can't say leta' lone know what the hell they mean. I think college injures the mind. Takes away all common reasoning amd makes ya' say words that confound a normal persons logic. Like mine. I'm still confused. :confused: :confused:

Fishbusters

Ensign

Looks like a tough one but the scary part is I actually understood a good bit of the outline and might have been able to answer about 50% correctly if they were multiple guess (more if I got real lucky).

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

yeah, but this is a real tricky biotch that makes her multi choice/guess questions like dividing the nucleus of an ATOM, shes so slick in the tricky ****y school of WTF she talkin bout ... <br /><br />ah well, Ill do better on the next one!

aspeck

Staff member

Today is the day ...<br />Go get em, Ray!<br /><br />Good luck on the test.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Dittoooooooooooooooo Go get it done. Besure and answer all the questions. Know you will ACE it.