1995 merc alpha one power trim

mike11374

Seaman
Got the new boat home and I was playing around with the power trim, I'm able to lower the motor but I press the up button and nothing happens. Is the motor bad or do I have a bad/dirty connection or could it be something else? Is it normal for it to work one way and not the other if the motor is bad? Any help is appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 merc alpha one power trim

Could be just a trim limit switch out of adjustment. Try raising the drive using the override/trailer button.

mike11374

Seaman

Tried the trailer button and that didn't work either. Any other thoughts?

mike11374

Seaman

Thanks alot Don, I'll give that a shot. You don't think there is any possiblity the trim motor is shot do you?

SeaRay83

Recruit

I've got a '96 alpha one and have had this happen to me several times. Maybe your situation is the same.... The battery wire goes to the trim unit and then it splits to the up and down direction circuits. It's this up or down direction power connection on the trim unit that goes high ohm on demand (acts like an open, but only when up/down button pushed). This is a real bugger to troubleshoot because it looks fine with a voltmeter under no load (good voltage on both sides of connection). Aggitate the up direction connection on the trim unit and see what happens. I've used liquid electrical tape after disconnecting and cleaning the connection to mitigate this situation.

rickster

Cadet

My '95 did the same thing and it turned out to be the inline fuse from the pump to the battery.Just a cheap $0.20 fuse.Check the wire that goes from your trim pump to the battery and you will see the inline fuse.It is a 20 amp,I believe and mine looked good,but I decided to start there first when I began to troubleshoot and,viola,it worked.I don't know why it went down,but not back up,but it worked for me and it is an easy and cheap place to start.Good luck.