Bellows replace

soak 'n fused

Seaman
Hi all again- Ok i feel a little sheepish with my post the other day. Ok so there is no right or left... there is an upper and a lower and a small one in the middle and what i can see i guess it is the shift bellows. Anyway, it is cracked and needs to be replaced. What is this going to cost me... Thanks for all your help guys, I just want to know more about my boat than what all the marine mechanics will tell you which is nothing..er no that will be 1200.00. I bought this '79 Searay 240 SRV in '94 and three years later I replaced the 305 Chevy with a '97 350 Chevy Merc that I guess went from 228 HP to 250 or 260. I had both upper and lower gears done on lower unit and had the spline drive shaft replaced with the one inch square shaft. I dont know what model the outdrive is but the serial # 5405939. I will have to get the engine serial # and get all this info on my profile. Thanks Don S. for your help. With your help and all the other great guys on this site hopefully I can enjoy boating more and more in the future.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bellows replace

Well your 79 Searay came with a Mod.1, or Pre-Alpha drive,.....

I don't understand the part about a Square Shaft,.....

The Lower Shift Cable Bellows should be replaced as a Kit, that inculdes the Whole Cable as well as the bellows.....
And,.......
For the Few more Dollars,..... I'd have All of the replacable Rubber Parts done while it's apart,.......
It'd be Ashame to have to Pay to have it done Again next season.......
If you want to see What hooks to What,+ Where,....... Have a Read Here,.......

Oh,........
Sorry about the little bit of Ribbing we gave ya, about the Right,+ Left bellows...............
Well,.... Maybe Not........:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

square? What is square?

Main Entry: square
Pronunciation: 'skwer
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French esquarre, from Vulgar Latin *exquadra, from *exquadrare to square, from Latin ex- + quadrare to square -- more at QUADRATE
1 : an instrument having at least one right angle and two straight edges used especially to lay out or test right angles
2 : a rectangle with all four sides equal
3 : any of the quadrilateral spaces marked out on a board for playing games
4 : the product of a number multiplied by itself
5 a : an open place or area formed at the meeting of two or more streets b : BLOCK 6a
6 : a solid object or piece approximating a cube or having a square as its largest face
7 : an unopened cotton flower with its enclosing bracts
8 : a person who is conventional or conservative in taste or way of life
9 : a square meal <ate three squares a day>
- on the square
1 : at right angles
2 : in a fair open manner : HONESTLY
- out of square : not at an exact right angle

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bondo,

In your link to Merstuff the directions on that site don't show using a bellows expansion tool at all, can it be done without the tool?