wanting to buy my next love

willy54321

Recruit
I,ve found a 1985 19' monte carlo by ebco it has a 3.0 omc and drive the boat looks solid new int. few scratchs didn't see any thing bad but thats the problem i dont know what to look for i know enough about trucks / cars but 0 on boats plus its a 50 mile drive to any large body of water and a 20 mi. drive to a dealer who nows anything about i/o motors [180.00 for a basic buyers check up] so i ask what would you do in my shoes im a dad to 2 great kids and great wife play just want to play on the water or take my dad fishing. thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: wanting to buy my next love

You don't need a large body of water for a test drive/float.<br />I wouldn't buy it without a test drive. Would you buy a $5000 car from a stranger, without a test drive?<br />If so, then you must have money to throw away.<br /><br />Paying a mechanic a few bucks now, will increase your negotiating power, your peace of mind, and possibly your bank account.

cotterman

Chief Petty Officer

if they're serious bout selling the boat, the i'm sure they must fully expect to give a potential buyer a test drive. make an offer based on conditions, satisfactory check up from mechanic, and satisfactory water test.<br />good luck

ebbtide176

Commander

in other words, try to get it understood that if they will knock the costs of having it satisfactorily checked out by the boat mechs, you will buy it. but that is after letting them know you have to ride in it on the water in the first place. and with those 2 steps you should know what you'll be getting. that, along with a manual and some boating experience should put you right up on top of the game :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats