12/24v wiring

ewertl

Cadet
My son has an Maxium eighteen foot runabout with a merc cruiser. We use it for fishing once in a while. We have always put two batteries up front in the hull walkway to run the trolling motor. We recently installed a second battery in the transom well and are trying to figure out the best way to wire it for 24v up front and 12 at the engine. I think all we have to do is wire it in series and put a diode in the link between the Aux bat pos terminal and the Eng bat neg terminal. I have a 6 amp diode to do this. We are wondering if they make a widgeit that takes care of this without using electronic pieces or if the Trollbridge by Yandina is the answer we are looking for?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12/24v wiring

You'll need to be a little more clear on what you want to accomplish. If you are going to eliminate the two batteries up front and use the start battery and one other in the rear that's a huge mistake. You can certainly do that but you also risk leaving yourself dead in the water due batteries that are too discharged to start the engine. If your start battery is not a deep cycle that makes the situation even worse. Starting batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged. My suggestion is to stick with the two up front.

ewertl

Cadet

That was the idea to eliminate the batteries up front, becuse they have to be moved in and out and are in the way for fishing up there. Maybe we will have to revisit the whole thing.

drewpster

Commander

If you have the room, why not put your trollers in the back and run cables to the front out of the way?