Do all volvo owners pull the drive annually?

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally got the owners and shop manuals for my '95 SX drive. To grease the universal and gimbel they instruct pulling the drive every year. Given the 200-300+ cost ( one expensive grease job) does everyone actually do this. I just got the boat last year and my mechanic replaced all the bellows etc and the gimbel bearing. I was planning to wait till after the third season of use and have him replace all the bellows again and change to "lifetime" universals and gimbel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do all volvo owners pull the drive annually?

If they are smart they do. The alignment is also checked at that time and the bellows is inspected for water and/or gear oil in the bellows.
If the front seal leaks and you don't notice it, the next year could be worse and you loose the drive because the upper bearings and gears run dry.
It's one of those pay me a little now or a lot later when you don't keep ahead of things.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Now that you have the service manual you could always do it yourself if your any kind of mechanic.300 bucks buys a lot of gas for the boat..:D

Bondo

Staff member

and change to "lifetime" universals and gimbel.

Ayuh,......... Funny Thing about those "Lifetime" Bearings,......... They Aren't.........

Where as, a "Servicable" Bearing, If it's Serviced,......... Will Last a Lifetime................

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I pull my Volvo every year.

Coors

Captain

Hmm, a question- even if you check each year; what is a normal gimbal life?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure sorry to rain on this parade and I know it is not constructive, but I have to gloat. I have had my OMC stringer drive off two times since 1980. I have many hours of hard skiing and some ocean running on it.

Each time it came off, it was for an obligatory water pump check/replacement (second time was for a boat resto, but got the WP treatment while it was off). Each time, if it wasn't for the amount of work involved, I'da left the impeller installed. Other than a little set on the HUGE fins, they were perfectly good.

I do have to say, that after it came off the second time (two summers ago) I did send it to the Guru for a complete looksee. Some mods were done related to the Hydro Shift, the water pump drive shaft was replaced (noticable, but not critical wear) along with the impeller (only due to age and the fact that things were already opened up) and everything was resealed. I did get a $1200 bill for the lot.

Oh, I only wish that OMC had stayed on top of the issues that plagued it, 'cause they were far and away better than all this annual tear apart BS. Not only that, the outdrive lifted quicker and turned sharper and didn't have gimbals and gimabal bearings and u-joints and alighnmets and switches and exhaust boots and and and and and

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I pull mine every year. You don't need any special tools and it is an afternoon well spent that gives you a good heads up if there are any problems. You can either pay someone to do it or learn how to do it yourself and save the money. It should be done every year though.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I pull mine each year. Its good to see the condition of everything and make sure no moisture is in the bellows. I also store the Bellows / exhaust rubber thing inside during the winter in the dark. They last that way. It is a really easy job. I also pressure and vacuum it as well.

It really is a quick and easy job to do yourself you will need the alignment bar though.

Mine is 7 years old and the bellows are still good as new. I did however replace them for luck this year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Boomyal,

I agree that the stringer OMC had good points but there were so many other problems that pulling the drive off every year is an easy trade-off. I have owned a stringer OMC, a Cobra OMC and a Volvo. That stringer OMC that we had could never be sealed to keep water out of the gear oil. Because of that, we changed the gear oil 3 or 4 times a season.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I've the offical Volvo SX manual but it looks like a lot of details and I won't want to screw it up. So as any wimp (me) wants to know; is there a video or training course around?
Thanks for everyone's input.

Bondo

Staff member

training course around?

Ayuh,..............

It's Self-Taught,+ there's No Diploma........

Put the "Book" right next to your Throne,+ Read it, Everytime your there for a Week or 2 or more,.......
Then go out,+ Jump Right Into It.............(the Outdrive, Not the Throne)

If or When you hit a Wall,.............
You come back Here,+ 1 of the Guys will tell you which way to Go, or Where you went Wrong..........

MainstreetUSA1

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought an alignment tool and plan to pull my sx drive for maintenance and inspection purposes this year.

Is it too cumbersome to lift the drive free by hand? Should I count on borrowing and engine picker and a lifting eye to support the weight of drive while sliding it free from the mounting bolt studs and engine coupler?

I just wanted to get an idea on how much the drive weighs and if it is too difficult to do without the engine cherry picker.​

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My wife and I can handle a Duo-prop easily. I pull the props off though just to be safe.

I made a stand out of wood that I can slide under it so now I can do it by myself with that.

MainstreetUSA1

Seaman Apprentice

Well, i think I found out what I needed from a couple of previous posts.

Most indicated that the drive will tip the scales somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-100lbs and a little help from a homemade drive stand will go a long way.​