bondwood boat help!

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a bond wood boat which is 4.8m i am not sure about what to do with the hull it has some damage on the keel which i am gonna fibreglass up and should i take off all of the paint and apply a coat of epoxy or is there somthing else? i want the hull to have a glossy finish when i have finished fixing it so it looks similar to fibreglass

Bondo

Staff member
Re: bondwood boat help!

i want the hull to have a glossy finish when i have finished fixing it so it looks similar to fibreglass

I'd suggest you Paint it when you've completed the Repairs.........

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

so would it need anything on the hull for strengenthing cause i am a bit scared it will all fall to bits i have gotten a 1970's 115 merc for it what would one suggest to make it stronger

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would like to see some better pictures. For a hull repair bonding to old poly - Fiberglass I would probably go with Epoxy resin. Depending on the size & amount of damage you will need some fiberglass cloth. You need to grind out any broken and damaged areas and rebuild them with epoxy / fiberglass. Here is some info on technique for repairs. http://capndsboatshed.com/hullrepair.htm

Google for more.

after the repairs are done with epoxy, you get to sand the entire hull if you're really going to match the hull. Now depending on how big and where this is you can use a Keel guard to cover the repair as well.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

the entire hull is wood so will the epoxy and fibre glass stick to it?
and the transom will need a lot of work done its cracked and looks like the motor is about to fall off

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

here are some pics of it

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of P1010016a.JPG
    Copy of P1010016a.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 0

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well now seeing the boat and trying to get back to your original question. For the keel repair, I would sand the paint off down to the wood. For two reasons, First, the epoxy will adhere to about anything, but if the paint peals the epoxy goes with it. 2nd by sanding the paint off you can see if there is more damage than is visible at 1st.

All fiberglass materials, mat, cloth, woving, etc are 'reinforcements' for the resin. So using fiberglass clothe in Epoxy helps to strengthen it. Yes, you can actually fill the entire damaged area with epoxy by itself and it will probably hold. The fiberglass clothe just helps it hold better.

One thing about epoxies to keep in mind. The faster the epoxy sets up, or kicks off, the more brittle it is. A 5 minute epoxy is much more brittle and not 'flexible' when compared to say a 30 minute or 2 hour epoxy. But you have to weigh that time against, is the resin going to run out of the repair before it sets up.

For the transom, wooden boats are best repaired with wood. If you were to encase the entire boat in fiberglass, you would eventually see the fiberglass start to separate from the wood, because the wood still moves, it expands and contracts and will break loose from the fiberglass. So, if the transom is all wood now, look at how you can re-create it with wood again and seal it so it does not get wet and rot, etc. This is where coating wood with Epoxy is good, but you still need to paint the Epoxy because it is not UV stable. Ever seen yellowed epoxy? The sun go to it..

As for a the Glossy 'fiberglass' finish. A wood boat can and should be painted. The prep work for the paint job would have to be the main focus and thats were your biggest payback will come. If you are trying to make wood look like fiberglass you have to fill all of the grain of the wood and hide any joint lines.

you will probably need to use a 'high build primer' think of Bondo Filler thinned down enough to just barely be sprayable and you have it.

One area you might do some research with the Duck Works magazine. They do a lot more there with wooden boats than we do. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/index.cfm

Good luck, and keep asking questions. We have not have answers, but lots of times just asking helps you figure out a solution.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

i am starting work on it this weekend instead of just looking at the thing lol
i will keep u all updated and im sure i will have lots of questions more to ask
one now i can ask is where to start?

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where to start? Basically the same place the manufacturer did, with the hull and structure.

Survey the boat and figure out what you are going to repair. For example the transom. Take pictures of how its rigged out now and mark or tag things as you disconnect them. Get the transom, for example stripped down to just the original.

Make patterns or templates of anything you COULD POSSIBLY replace. Then figure out what you're going to rip out. Reciprocating, SAWZAL's, are handy as are circular and hand saws.

If you can get this apart with out sawing. AKA, pull nails or screws and cut or break loose joints, then you have a MUCH better pattern for the replacement parts.

Get a share a project started so we can follow along as you ask questions.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

with the splash well it is a structual part of the transom if i replace the transom will it have to be the same and what is involed in replacing the transom will i have to replace the whole back wall and the transom angles back around the motor if i replace the transom can i leave it out?

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please keep in mind that we are trying to advise you from 'afar' based on pictures only so we can not totally understand your boat and situation. Also, most of us are familiar with rebuilding fiberglass and aluminum boats. In both of these cases even with the wood removed from the boat, it still has its shape.

With the understanding that your boat is wooden and that is only paint on the outside of the transom, it looks like you would need to remove most if not ALL of the rear of the boat. If there were an outside fiberglass 'skin' you would have more of a pattern to work from.

In all repairs you are trying to redo, recreate what the original builder did. In fiberglass boats they layout the outside layers of the hull and then stuff in a wooden transom piece on the inside. To repair that we remove the wood and replace. I think in your case, then entire transom is glued and screwed into sides and bottom of your boat.

You're probably going to need to get more familiar with wooden boat construction. A good website to check out is http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/index.cfm

As for the splashwell. You can replace it or redesign it as you see fit. I know that without one you're going to get LOTS of water in the boat. My boat doesn't have a splash well and its a short shaft configuration, a 16 inch high transom and I get waves lapping over the back all the time.

Thoughts that I have on your project are:

The main - structural wooden parts of the boat need to be replaced with wood. Marine grade or A/C grade exterior plywood. You can seal and water proof the wood my coating it with epoxy. Do some searches on this forum there are LOTS of threads that discuss this.

The splash well and other not so structural parts can either be wood, metal or fiberglass. When I get around to adding the splash well to my boat, the plan is to use Masonite or hardboard, or even thick cardboard would work, as a form for a fiberglass construction.

I plan to tape, or tack or staple or clamp the form into place and wax it so the resin's won't stick, or you could use wax paper or plastic. Then start a layup of fiberglass on the top of that, layer of mat, layer of cloth, layer of mat, layer of cloth until I get up to about 1/4 inch thick. To finish it off I will probably paint it.

On the on the other hand if I could find the right supply for Aluminum and could put a nice edge on it I could also see using aluminum to build the splash well.

The only consideration is that your outboard must clear the splash well when its up.. The only design data I have found on splash wells is a very old, 1960's document from OMC: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/4/long&short05.htm

Let us know how things are looking..

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a look at that site can you show me the direct link where im meant to go because i couldnt find the section you mentioned

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a good look through and saw some different ways to build hulls giving me ideas :D

bcoussens

Cadet

Hi, I have just joined this forum as i have a 16 " bondwood boat (heartly hull i think) it had some aditions to the hull (ply canopy) that was very rotton and i have succesfully removed it yesterday and now just have the hull, i have found rot in the top bow and the transom has been replaced in the past but very badly, so that will be coming off too.

my question to you is what angle is your transom from your top deck, i would like to change the style of the hull a little so the transom is at 90 deg or even sloaps away from the boat a litle (rather than cutting under the boat) to give it a little more length and style like a 50's boat. my last bondwood boat had this style but it had a 6 cyl inboard this hull taked a outboart.

how is your build/restortion going? i will attach some pics too. many thakns Ben

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'd pay special attention to the structural strength of the transom. A 115 is a lot to be hanging on a transom of questionable strength.

Ben - You might start a separate thread for your question. We try to focus on the problem (s) from the original poster and not jump around.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

my transom is comming off it has some rot not much but i want to replace it anyway for the future