Suzuki DT40 questions (with picts)

delfinasul

Seaman
Those are my questions:
1-What RPM would be optimal for running suzuki on my boat (~150-200kg weight, pict here: http://www.chally.ro/pict/ ) . If run my motor at max rpms, i think, i have a lot of chances to broke my motor, is that right or the motor have some kind of protection to stop me running it at dangerous rpm's?
2- In pictures above, the boat is running with motor in a three different angles witch of the angles is the best angle ?

p.s. sorry for my english

Last edited:

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT40 questions (with picts)

max should be about 5500 - 6000rpm, you can set your throttle stop to make WOT a little less, the second pic where it shows the closeup is the correct angle ...... what prop are you running with, if you get a bigger pitch prop it will also bring your rpm down ..... about a 16 pitch should do it ......

delfinasul

Seaman

I have the standard (i think) 13 pitch prop.

delfinasul

Seaman

max should be about 5500 - 6000rpm, you can set your throttle stop to make WOT a little less, the second pic where it shows the closeup is the correct angle ...... what prop are you running with, if you get a bigger pitch prop it will also bring your rpm down ..... about a 16 pitch should do it ......

..about 5500 - 6000rpm ..this is the maximum RPM's safe (for life of the motor) or maximum RPM's of the motor? If value is maximum RPS's of the motor my questions is what is maximum RPM's for using the motor with no risc to broke my motor? (The reason because i'm so annoing is i love speed but it will be very difficult to get some replacing parts in my country in case my motor dies. no suzuki marine dealers around)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I would say 5500 - 6000 rpm max, to stay on the safe side you should not run mor than 5000 rpm, if you like speed then I suggest a higher pitch prop to increase your top end speed and lower your max rpm .....

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, 5000 is not the way to go, closer to 6000 is what you want....you never want an outboard to run WOT 1000 RPM's less than max...Suzuki says safe to 6000 and as close as that as possible....think of a car going up an endless hill....if it's in overdrive, the RPM's are low and the throttle is wide open, the motor will melt down because the oil is being circulated slower, as is the coolant, etc, while the gas is being poured in....bad, bad....run her as close to 6K as possible, not over....

deejaycee_2000

Captain

the motor will blow if you run it at 6000rpm at WOT for very very long ......

.... if you run your car permanently just before redline the motor will eventually blow .......

Last edited:

delfinasul

Seaman

UPDATE: I have instaled tach today, running WOT and max RPM's was 5800-5900 with my 13 pitch prop. The motor seems to work nice at 5000 RPM's, above 5300-5500 the motor seems to make more noise than speeding.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

then run it at 5000, you can set it to run WOT at 5000, but I still say buy a bigger pitch prop it will solve your problem and you will get more speed out of it .... good luck

delfinasul

Seaman

Thank's all for your advices, bigger pitch prop is on my "to do list" i thinking to buy a 15 pitch prop. I asked the person who sold me the motor if he tested a prop with bigger number of pitch and he said the number of rpms's decreased with 1000 when tested with a 17 pitch prop. This is the reason because my choice is a 15 pitch prop, is this ok?