Chainsaw opinions

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
My chainsaw locked up on me a couple of days ago and the verdict is that it is now junk. It was an Poulan. It was just a cheap 16" saw, but had cut its share of wood.<br /><br />So now I am looking for a good quality saw that will last me a lifetime (yea right). Been looking at Stihl and Huskies. Just thought you all might have some opinions on what you think is the best saw.<br /><br />I cut mostly hardwood to burn during the winter. Occassionally I will get calls to cut down trees that are about 4' in diameter. I borrow my buds saw to cut those monsters down which is an old Mac with a 24 inch blade.<br /><br />Thanks SSM

jim phillips

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chainsaw opinions

I got a huskie 55 rancher 4 years ago and have never had a day of trouble with it. It will start on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time. 18" bar and a case for about $350.00 I cut about 15 cords a year with it. best saw i have ever owned.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Up here you will see a lot of stilh's that have been throught the mill missing parts and all still doing duty. Dont know of many huskies round here but I dont think it has to do with reputation just a market anomilty. Johnshreds also makes a reputable saw and are easy starters but they are expensive and hold up well but I don't think as well as Stilh. Course these are saws that see extreme duty. I dont make a living with my saw anymore so I also went with a Poulan but you get what you pay for. They are a decent light duty saw made by a lawn care company. If it were my money it would be a Stilh.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

SS--go with the Stihl or Husky--<br />--here is why-imo-<br />todays poulan, homelite, mcolouch, etc. are considered throw away saws. when power head is shot, off to the curb they go--is why they are less expensive. additionaly, the bar and chain are of lesser quality. you will spend what seems like equal amount of time sharpening and adjusting chain as you do cutting wood. I know I been there. <br />I bought a lighter duty commercial 16" Stihl a couple years ago. is an amazing differnce than the homelite 16 I had.<br /><br />--example- took down a 40' or so shaggy hickory couple of months ago-felled it, branched 'er, cut limbs and trunk into 16" fire wood. Chain did not need any adjust, teeth still sharp.<br /><br />--i'm a Stihl man now and i like beer--

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got an 023 Stihl here thats been providing us with firewood for 6+ years so far. Only just bought the 3rd chain as it does a lot of wood. 16" bar makes it good for the house and farm!<br />
fb29ac79.jpg
<br />Ross

CatCruzer

Cadet

SS MAYFLOAT,<br /><br />I would get a stihl 029 farm boss with an 18" bar. I have owned one for 5 years and have not had a minute trouble from it. I think they are in the 300 bucks range, but well worth it.<br /><br />CatCruzer

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

an additional thought--use a 2 stroke oil made for air cooled engines--Stihl book specificaly says DO NOT use water cooled ob oil--<br /><br />air cooling rated oils--additives for higher temp enviroments these engines live in---same goes for air cooled weed eaters, etc.<br /><br />of course Stihl recommends thier oil--i use an oil w/ same api? rating as Stihl oil, available at local farm and barn--

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Mayfloat.<br /><br />Use chainsaws a lot here at the Hideout. Some light duty, some for heavy work.<br /><br />I use little Poulans for the light duty stuff, pruning, etc., and expect them to last a couple of years with care and 16:1 mix using chainsaw oil. Using TCW-3 and 24:1 or 50:1 is sure death in only a few hours. Lot of folks make that mistake. They are light and powerful; excellent for hauling up a ladder into a pecan tree.<br /><br />Stihl and "Husky" (nobody can spell the real name) are the BMW and Mercedes of chainsaws. I have a big Husky that I use for heavy duty stuff, including slicing lumber from hardwoods. It seems indestructible if you follow the manual exactly.<br /><br />You get what you pay for, and I would recommend either without hesitation. :)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

---Husqvarna--- :D :D :D

D

DJ

SS,<br /><br />Husqvarna seems to be the choice for serious landscapers areound here. The heat here is brutal on saws, the Husqvarna's seem to hold up the best.

Link

Rear Admiral

SSM<br />I think it depends on where you live and on the service and parts..<br />Stihl is the #1 choice with loggers around here but (that doesn't make them better) I see a lot of Huskys and Mac's also. <br />Poulan = Gamefisher.. they work fine but when they break its cheaper to buy a new one than to repair!

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

for what its worth in 86 i bought a 61 Husky still have it, still starts the 2nd pull, you ask my opinion HUSKY

vidar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi there. i have a stihl saw and have newer had a saw that started this easy......i woud recomend the lowbenzen premix fuel in gal cans...better for your saw and HEALTH.. :)

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can only recomend one, a commercial duty Stihl with an 18" bar. With proper care ,and no more that a 25:1 mix (may smoke a little bit bit IMHO the extra oil in the mix really helps longitivity)it should last a lifetime. I've got an old Mac Timber Bear that calls for a 25:1 mix and I've used a 15:1 mix for 10 years now. Parts are starting to get scarce for those Macs but I've heard nothing but good things about Stihl.

Homerr

Commander

IN A NUTSHELL:<br /><br />STIHL!!!!<br /><br />The baddest-Azz saw on the planet (IMO)<br /><br />Everyone I know that uses a chainsaw has a Stihl.<br /><br />H.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Chainsaw of choice here is Sthil's. They have the State Contract, and before the State issues the contract the product goes through some serious testing. Basically most of your Governments(local & county) are using Sthil's Have yet to encounter problems w/reliability and replacement chains or parts. Personnally I have a McCollugh, Cheap little saw. I have a gas fireplace so heavy duty wood cutting is not a problem. I use it for camping firewood and trimming around the house.

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I'll post my thoughts on my saw. I have a 67cc Echo that I've owned for 9 years now and my firewood buddy has the same brand, but one size smaller and one year newer.<br />We are firewood junkies, we each cut 12-14 cord per year (we don't burn that much as we know less fortunate people that we give some to) and we try and out do each other every outing. His runs as great as mine.<br />Mine still has serious compression and runs like a scalded dog. 28" roller tip with skip tooth chisel bit. You could use the so called "saw dust" for kindling! :p <br />BTW, I run Klotz oil @ 50:1 and the proof's in the cord's cut.