Helm & Dash work. Couple questions......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Don't you hate it when something that you think is going to be easy turns into a whole friggin' project? I'm replacing my old cable and pulley steering with a Teleflex rack unit. Everything was cool with the unit, iboats delivered it ahead of schedule, I laid it out in the boat and the length was perfect. I had to drill a new hole in my motor well for the cable because the existing hole in my gunwale would have made the bend too tight. This was expected. Then I went up front to install the helm which I figured would be a direct bolt in. Well it wasn't. The new helm was shorter than the old one and not at an angle like the old one. This resulted in the steering wheel being pressed up against the "shelf" that is under my dash that you can see in the below picture. So I have removed that shelf and was just going to reinstall it closer to the dash. I also had to order the "wedge kit" at $20 that stupid Teleflex really should have included with the steering kit. This will give me my 20 degree angle back.

This brings me to my new project. Next year I was planning on disassembling my whole dash and replacing that ugly piece of painted plywood I put in there when I re-did the boat. I wasn't going to do it this year because I have enough work going on in the stern replacing the outer transom. But now as I'll have 40% of the dash disassembled anyway, I may as well make it look nice.

Now my questions: I'd like to use a piece of attractive stained wood to replace the 7" x 6' piece of plywood. What kind of wood would you guys recommend? Also what you recommend I use to seal it with? And also where do you think I could purchase it? I doubt Lowe's or HD would have anything nice. Would oak work?

My second question is: I have the complete helm from the old pulley system. Anyone want it? I wanted to check before I threw it out.

10.jpg

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Helm & Dash work. Couple questions......

Unless you can't live without a piece of solid wood and all of the attendant upkeep, the boat is so well turned out that cladding the existing dash with aluminum flat coil stock and painting it with the boat colors or brushed aluminum would compliment your good work; not to mention, most of the work is already done.
If wood it has to be then teak or Honduran mahogany are the wood to get. Weather resistant but maintenance is a consideration.

drewpster

Commander

Boat looks great! I am interested to see how the dash turns out. Especially if you go with finished wood. I have a good bit of mahogany to refinish.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm thinking of doing the same with my dash. have you considered 1/4" oak plywood, then stain and seal with polyurethane. i have oak seats that i'm going to match. If the bushings are good on the pulley helm DON"T throw it out. i'll pay the shipping for it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

TD, it was you I had in mind when I offered up the helm. The bushings are quite good. Send me a private message with your address and I'll ship it down. You can just Paypal me the actual USPS shipping charges whatever they turn out to be.

Oak plywood is a good idea. I hate to have to buy a whole sheet though to get a 7" strip. I'll have to go to Lowe's and see what they have.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm thinking of buying a sheet, and do my dash, and the gunnell panels. as there have been, many holes drilled in this old hull. PM on the way. thanks

HD and Lowes, carry what is called Door Skins, 1/8 in laun, mahogany, used to resurface door that have had holes knocked into them. you could glue up 2 layers. about $9.00

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Went to Lowe's tonight. They had 1/2" PVC boards there that were reasonably priced. I got a 8' x 7 1/4" for $25. One side of it is deeply woodgrained but the other is completely smooth. I think it will make a fine dash panel and should be easy to work with as far as gauges and switches and things go. My teleflex wedge kit arrived today from ShipStore.com. It arrived quickly and for a reasonable price but the product looks like it came off the shelf 10 years ago and had been opened and scotched taped back together. I think its complete but I'm less than pleased regardless. It would be one thing if it was eBay.

flashback

Captain

EZ, that boat looks really good, it has a cool color to it. IMHO i would not put any wood on the dash...instead I would like to see a brushed aluminium dash plate about an 1/8 inch thick with some black gauges in it...you could get a piece of aluminum and cut it to fit...... not a hard project if you have the tools and skill and if you don't, I'm sure you can find a shop that will do it for you.... but from the looks of things, I'l bet you can do it...........