whats the oldest engine you've seen running

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
this is a general question i have a 70 merc 650 thats seems to be sea worthy..compressions over 120 in each cylinder..my question is whats the oldest engine you've seen thats still in use today

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: whats the oldest engine you've seen running

70's Merc still a virgin compared to some oldies I seen putting around!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just sold a 55 15 hp evinrude that ran like new. and am waiting for a 1958 35 johnson to arrive.

Clams Canino

Commander

I've got a running 1962 Merc 800, and I have a buddy with a few mid-late 50's Mercs in service. A 1970 650 is a baby - particularly if fresh water.

-W

Laddies

Banned

We have a couple 1956 Mark 55 H engines that will still run regularly and freinds that still fish with early 50s engines

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1946 5 HP Johnson that belonged to my Dad. It still runs like a top. The paint is faded and the decals are worn off but I plan to begin a restoration next winter.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Dang -- I'm in the Merc form. Sorry folks.

emckelvy

Commander

Got a '53 Sea Bee 5HP Twin that runs like a champ.

Oldest motor in my collection's got to be a mid-20's Johnson A-25 that will probably run but needs a new ign coil. Can't order up a new one from the Sierra catalog that's fer sur!

The original coil quit in the early 50's and the previous owner just put the motor away in the closet! It's been Not-Running longer than I've been alive, DOH!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1928 A-28 Johnson that should still run, but I haven't tried for a few years. I never ran it regularly. I put it away right and it should still start and run. I collect antiques. It's not my oldest, but it's my oldest runner. But this shouldn't count since I do this for a living and frankly have somewhat of an obsession. I also have a 1925 A-25 but it needs a lot of work. And no you can't have my coil. ;)

But you could rig automotive coils and condensers and use the points in that motor and get it running with a battery. Pretty trippy points in those things, eh? They look like something you could send Morse Code with.

thibauja

Seaman Apprentice

my cousin is running a merc 650 25th aniversairy its 1967 or 65 not sure and i have this johnson 9.5 1967 that runs like a new one now.

jacobmorin

Seaman

I have a 72' 65o Merc. It runs but the problem I am having is I can't find a mechanic that will take a look at it or do a quick tune up due to the age. I live in Northern NJ and would appreciate any feed back for mechanics that might do work on the side or a marina that would look at it?

Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I have run one of the oldest Mercs in existence - serial #1528, 1939; as well as one of the oldest Evinrudes, #790, 1909. They don't get run much, but they do run when asked...
As for finding a mech in your area, might want to poke around a bit. Ask the mech at your local marina who they send the "old off brand" stuff to. There's usually one or two guys in most waterfront communities who tinker with the old stuff. Don't ask the squeaky clean kid at the counter - ask the mech with the grime under his nails. He'll know...
- Scott

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

the oldest thing i've seen running is my FIL, he forgot the MIL at wallyworld one day...it was ugly