force 50 tilt/trim and cold weather

danpa1

Cadet
I am having a problem with my tilt/trim now. It worked great until I had the marina take the boat to fix the drive shaft seal. They said they couldn't get the motor to raise or lower the unit. When I went out to get the boat we pounded on the t/t motor with a rubber mallet why flipping the dash switch and got it working again. It has been sitting in the drive since (about a week and a half) and worked everyday. Now that it has turned cold again, it doesn't want to work. It just clicks or moans. Battery is up so that's not it and they tell me this unit doesn't have relays. What now?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 50 tilt/trim and cold weather

Model and year is always helpful.

Starter can be disassembled and cleaned out, or take it to a shop that does auto starters and alternators and have them do it.

RRitt

Captain

3w motors have an aluminum cable fitting directly into side of motor collar. 2w motors have a top fitting molded into the plastic. if 2w then don't whack it at all ... get it fixed before you damage the internals. if it is a 3w then whack away until it quits spinning. just don't hit the top cover or resevoir. When gentle whacking no longer works then send it off for repair. If you need reliability for the entire boating season then don't look for quick fixes because there aren't any. whacking it will make it work for a while but ultimately you're going to need to send it in for repairs.

danpa1

Cadet

It is a 1988 Force 50hp on a Bayliner 1500 series boat. It seems to be a prestolite trim motor but can't find numbers anywhere on it. I looked online and it doesn't look like anything they are selling today. The motor sits sideways on the transome with the end facing port and the wire coming out the side next to the end. It is all one piece with the motor and a 4" foot at a 90 degree angle going up the side of the cylinder. There are 6-7 screws holding the motor w\foot to the side of the cylinder. So what I'm getting is the motor may need rebuilt? It acts like it is dragging the battery down and will barely lift the force until it warms up, then it goes up and down easily. That's if it goes at all.

RRitt

Captain

i think that's a prestolite 2w. Which is good for you in the sense that 2w are less expensive to rebuild. If your pump mounts on outside of stern bracket and has a round resevoir bottom then it is prestolite. If it is prestolite then the only thing that matters is 2w or 3w. The 3w has a 1/2" round cable that goes directly into side of motor through an aluminum fitting. The cable is usually six feet long and goes to a console switch. The 2w has a flat cable that goes into the top cover. The 2w cable is 36" long and goes into the engine cowling. If it is 2w then don't whack it with your mallet anymore. Just let it die and then have it rebuilt. Whacking it might break something inside and cost you an extra $100 or more.

danpa1

Cadet

it must be a 3w because it has a heavy round wire going into the side of the motor toward the end and held in with a screw on fitting.

RRitt

Captain

it must be a 3w because it has a heavy round wire going into the side of the motor toward the end and held in with a screw on fitting.

sounds like 3w. your problem description also makes more sense for 3w than 2w. 2w seem to rust from outside to inside wheras 3w seem to rust from inside out. I figure that if ourside of motor was badly rusted then you probably would have mentioned it. Root cause of your problem is probably old gaskets letting water into motor. Inside is probably rusting and electrical contact between brushes and armature has become spotty. If so then you will need either new field frame or have the inside of old one bead blasted/repainted.

danpa1

Cadet

So does anyone else have one of these motors (1988 50hp force) on a Bayliner Capri 1500? If so can you find the tilt motor part number for me? Mine only says Prestolite, can't read the part number. I found a picture of a tilt and trim unit that looks just like mine but it is an Arco #6228 motor for an OMC. I found it here:http://www.outboardparts.com/mall/dynamic-results3.asp I thought it was all one piece but after peeling back the rubber boot around the motor, I can see the seperation between the motor and the pump. Any and all help is appreciated.

RRitt

Captain

it is same as used on JohnieRude tilt-only thru mid 1980's. However, the trim-tilt johnies used a different mounting bolt pattern (upside down triangle). Make sure not to get the wrong one.

I don't think anyone sells them anymore with the aluminum resevoir which is what you really need (if you have 3w). I get a lot of pumps with striped threads sent to me for repair because the sierra/arco/api resevoir is a different size. The oil tubes don't line up and people try to force it rather than re-bending tubes. As long as you're going to get stuck with a resevoir that doesn't fit you might want to try tracking down a Volvo Penta 290 motor+pump assembly. Your pump (aka valve body) is probably getting ready to start bleeding down anyway.