should I buy this cobra drive?

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
I currently have a Cobra drive / 4.3 motor.

I saw a local ad for a Cobra drive that's for a 3.0 motor for $300. The pictures look like its in great shape (would still need to check it out in person) but I was debating on taking a look. No other reason than spare parts or I could swqap the drive if I ever needed to. I beleive it will bolt up to mine, however I would need to re-prop. What size prop would I need to make the gear ratios correct? More importantly, assuming the drive is in good shape, am I wasting my money on this? The boat is a 93 FOur WInns in good shape and I'll probably keep a while. please no Cobra cracks :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: should I buy this cobra drive?

I like Cobra. The price certainly is right. A good used drive can easily be worth a grand or more. You'll need at least the next steeper pitch prop if not two steeper. Aluminum props usually come in odd pitches. Say you have a 17 now, next would be 19 and then 21.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: should I buy this cobra drive?

I wouldn't get it for a V6. The gear ratio is wrong, and the gears and lower housing are smaller and lighter weight than ones for the V6 and V8 engines.