putting the gbox into nuetral?

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 115hp inline six merc i have got the LU off and was wondering how to get it back into nuetral do i have to spin the prop and turn the little gear shift shaft if so how do i turn it?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: putting the gbox into nuetral?

No need to spin the driveshaft or propshaft to get into neutral. Just the shift shaft. But Merc advises to reinstall the gearcase with the gearcase and shift lever in forward. There is a detent for both neutral and reverse in the gearcase, but a bunp is all it takes for it to drop into forward.

Fishstick1962

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would suggest putting the gearbox and shifter in forward. This will aid in aligning the two peices Looking from above the G/B down, turn the shift shaft clockwise as far as it will go. You can do this with a pair of piers just be careful not to bugger the splines. While installing the drive keep a little reverse pressure on the prop and this will hold the unit in forward gear. It will also allow you to rotate the drive shaft gear splines by rotating the shaft if needed. Always apply reverse pressure on the prop if rotating the drive shaft is required. Hope this helps!

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks i have got it in now :) is it meant to click when u spin the prop 1 way and not the other

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forward - will click in 1 direction
Neutral - will spin both ways freely
Reverse - will not move in either direction

Keep in mind that if the lower unit is off and the water pump impeller is not on the shaft, forward will no longer click, it will spin in both directions along with the driveshaft.

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

is the impeller in the box where the main driveshaft passes through? the yellow one?

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

The impeller is inside the water pump housing (see below). Even though this picture is from a mercCruiser LU it should look the similar, save a longer driveshaft.

MercLU.jpg

anthony115merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

i thought it mighta been in there im used to the engines having the impellers on them so i usally work on diesels but this whole outboard thing is new to me