been having p;obs with broken bolts on lower unit to ex housing
got two out broke two off have removed all bolts and bolt threw shift
linkage has been removed but lower unit wont drop down have unit in reverse
if anyone has any answers i would appreciate anything dont wont to beat on it

thanks benny 1963

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150 evinrude 1981 lower unit wont come off

You should have removed 6 bolts Benny. One under the trim tab, one just forward of the trim tab and two on each side just above the anti-cav plate. Have all these been removed?

The bolts above the anti-cav plate are 9/16, the one just forward of the trim tab is 5/8 and the one under the trim tab is 1/2" head. The trim tab bolt is 7/16".....or....close to that.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

removed bolts thru ex housing 4 removed trim tab bolt removed bolt under trim tab and it appears that some one left out one bolt under trim tab
appears that all bolts are out unit moves a little side to side but does not drop down shift linkage is un bolted
thanks for youre patience benny b

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No problem with patience Ben.....just hope you'll be patient with me.... :)

The bolt forward of the trim tab is a long bolt....maybe 3 1/2" or so long....is that out?

If so, the lower unit is just stuck. Sometimes a large screwdriver between the mating line of the lower unit and midsection will get it apart. Even with the shift lingage detached, the lower unit should drop some.

Usually, the water tube is stuck or in some cases, the splines of the drive shaft and crankshaft stick. Try a little prying and see what happens.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes that bolt is out
will try prying it out broke two bolts under cav plate
unit has lot of salt crosion but is solid will have to drill and re tap or possibly put vise grips and heat for two broke bolts will update you on prob
thanks a million benny 1963

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just another thing Ben....the bolts that broke off....there may still be parts of the bolt still corroded into the lower unit holes. This may be a part of whats holding the lower unit on. Try soaking the things with some good penetrant like PB Blaster.

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Portion of the bolts left are salt welded to the lower unit and aswell is the water pump tube. I usually get a piece of wood and place it around the areas I think are the problems and give it a little tap with a hammer. That is if you are sure all the bolts are out.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

dsinger......is that little tap with a hammer like.....a full stroke 1 wood or a half stroke 9 iron??:D :D

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Matters how long I have been jacking with it...

Benny1963

Lieutenant

well all of the bolts are out lower unit has a little free play side to side
have tried wedges and tapping on both sides seems drive shaft is frozen
in place what are my options hope that surfaces between ex housing and lower unit are not critical because the screw drivers are not friendly
havent broken any thing but they do leave marks
help have been building race cars for a long time but have never had probs like this
thanks benny b

JUSTINTIME

Captain

well all of the bolts are out lower unit has a little free play side to side
have tried wedges and tapping on both sides seems drive shaft is frozen
in place what are my options hope that surfaces between ex housing and lower unit are not critical because the screw drivers are not friendly
havent broken any thing but they do leave marks
help have been building race cars for a long time but have never had probs like this
thanks benny b
salt water