Shift rod adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fellas,

I am having issues installing the lower unit back as I dont want to do it incorrectly. I have knocked the shift rod outta adjustment and am trying to correct it.

The service manual I has tells me to adjust it to a certain height by turning it but how can I check to make sure it is at the correct length other than hoping my measurements are right? I dont have the correct tool to measure it and am just using a tape measure.

One last thing, when putting the lower unit back on, I should have everything in neutral correct? I know when I was trying to install it before, the big fat rod was hitting something and not going all the way in and I was told to play with the prop handle thing but if its all in neutral that wouldnt do anything?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Shift rod adjustment

What Year & model engine are you dealing with/

What makes you suspect that the shift rod is out of adjustment? From what I know, its hard to "knock" it out of adjustment since it is threaded. As long as you don't turn it (screw it up or down) it should be ok.

When putting the lower unit back on, I have found that it is easier to reconnect the shift linkage to the rod if you have it in forward gear (shift shaft pulled up). Also, up will either have to turn the prop with the lower unit in gear or turn the flywheel to get the splines on the shaft to line up so that the drive shaft will go all the way in.

Hope this helps!

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll try to help, but I have limited experence, so here goes. The shift rod length, I dont know, I think it depends on the engine. When I installed my lower unit the shift rod would be in pushed into reverse when all bolted up. I would have to use needle nosed pliers to pull it up, into neutral so I could put the bolt back in. If the LU wont go back into place, the splines on the motor may not be lining up, turn the prop or motor by hand to line them up. Ya need 3 arms to do this so bribe somebody to help. I hope I helped.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He unscrewed it thinking that turning it made it shift rather than pushing and pulling. Neil -- use a yard stick to make the measurement with the shifter in whatever position the manual says. It would also help if you kept this project in one thread rather than starting a new one with each issue. Take the plugs out of the engine and turn the engine rather than the drive shaft.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have the service manual and it will tell you the length to set at the end of the gearcase section. It also tells you what gear to be in when you measure.

You need to measure from the line of the mating surface of the gearcase to the center of the hole at the top of the shift rod.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help fellas! It is a 1986 Evinrude 70hp. I kind of want to be able to check to make sure I have it right before I bolt the lower unit back on. Is there anyway to do this? Where I have it at currently I can push it in and make everything turn. Then I can pull it out and only the big one will turn and the prop wont.

So I think reverse and neutral are good? Do I pull it further out for forward? I will give it another shot this weekend and do what yall said.

When you say to turn the engine, I am guessing you are referring to spinning the wheel on the top of the engine? What is the best way to do this? have someone pushing up on the lower unit and one person spinning the wheel?

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip is speaking of turning the flywheel. Take the spark plugs out and only turn clockwise.

Buy two cheap yardsticks and mark each at the correct length for your shift rod, using the best measuring device that you have. Then bridge the two yardsticks at the marks with a crosspiece.

Set the bottoms of the yardsticks on the outer mating surfaces of the gearcase and adjust the shift rod until the top of the crosspiece is halfway across the hole at the top of the shift rod. That will be about as accurate as possible.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that sounds like something I can do! Ill give it a go and report back. It will most likely be monday before I get to do so.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay fellas I have done as yall said and it slid right in! I also adjusted the shift rod to the right height, atleast I think it was. Well according to the measurements anyways!

When putting everything else back on I did as yall said and used needle noses plier to get that shift rod lined up right and I successfully got that installed. Now here is my problem...

I am still scared that the shift rod is not right! I hooked it all up and I am scared to go any further because I dont want to turn the engine on and screw anything up. Is there anything I can do manually to test if the shift rod is right?

stewart

Cadet

If you have the shift rod hooked up at the engine, make sure you are in neutral at the control box, and simply start the engine. nothing bad will happen if it isn't adjusted to the proper length. (make sure no one is near the prop when starting). when the boat is running, try engaging it into forward and reverse. if it works and operates normally, you did it all right. if it wont go into gear or if it goes into gear but wont rev up (the control leaver wont move all the way in one direction), that means you have it out of adjustment and will have to remove the LU and try again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Shift rod in neutral.

1986 - 60, 70hp = (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral and offset to the port side.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have the shift rod hooked up at the engine, make sure you are in neutral at the control box, and simply start the engine. nothing bad will happen if it isn't adjusted to the proper length. (make sure no one is near the prop when starting). when the boat is running, try engaging it into forward and reverse. if it works and operates normally, you did it all right. if it wont go into gear or if it goes into gear but wont rev up (the control leaver wont move all the way in one direction), that means you have it out of adjustment and will have to remove the LU and try again.

Shift rod in neutral.

1986 - 60, 70hp = (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral and offset to the port side.

Those were the measurements it had in my book. I wasn't 100% sure if I understood the measurements as it was kinda weird and my ruler didnt have 32th things if that makes any sense so I measure I did it at...

21" + 11.5/16

I wasn't sure what the plus/minus 1/32" was so I didnt mess with that. Are the measurements above correct?

I didnt want to start the engine and try shifting because I didnt know if it might grind the gears or something if I had it set wrong.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

11.5/16 = .718750

32 X .71850 = 23.04

21" + 23.04/32 sounds good!

Now the idea is to see if the gears will shift with the cable disconnected, and then adjust the cable to the shifter exactly before reconnecting them.

When you adjust the shift cable, move the control arm all of the way forward and then back to neutral, then adjust, then reconnect with the gearcase already in neutral.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The measurement is taken, in neutral, from the top of the gearcase housing (alongside of the shift rod housing) to the center of the shift rod hole.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

11.5/16 = .718750

32 X .71850 = 23.04

21" + 23.04/32 sounds good!

Now the idea is to see if the gears will shift with the cable disconnected, and then adjust the cable to the shifter exactly before reconnecting them.

When you adjust the shift cable, move the control arm all of the way forward and then back to neutral, then adjust, then reconnect with the gearcase already in neutral.

I did the measurements in neutral...

Ezeke, your math skills just confused the heck out of me! Are you basically saying the measurements I did sound good?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Neil -- next time you need to take a measurement in 1/32" increments, you don't need a ruler or yard stick with 1/32" divisions. 1/16" = 2/32. Half way between 1/6" graduations is 1/32". 1/4" = 4/32 or 1/8". God I wish we had completed the attempted switch to metric system. It's just too darned simple.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Silver!

Thats kinda what I did. I still haven't got around to testing it out yet. I was out of town for opening of Turkey season. Hope to mess with it sometime this week!

Neal Lauderman.

Status
Not open for further replies.