Plugged exaust?

40mariner

Cadet
Hey guys, new here, first post so bear with me....8)

I've got a 93 mariner, 40HP, longshaft.

I'm not sure about what's going on, but most of the smoke from the exaust is coming out just under the engine cowling, not the exaust ports.

Could my exhaust be plugged?

It runs fine, starts no problem, but the smoke coming out where it is has me concerned. Late in the fall this past season, I had a few mornings where it was below freezing, and the engine was running rough, but I just blamed it on the cold weather (its never ran rough in cold before though). Once I ran it for a while it was fine agian, only blowing smoke from the wrong spot. It doesn't sound just right either, that's why I'm thinking its an exhaust problem.

Is it possible that my exhaust was plugged up, and whatever moisture was in there froze....plugging the exhaust fully......resulting in the engine running rough till it melted on those cold mornings? This seems like what it was doing.

I've had the engine since new, and its been bulletproof the whole time. I keep it well maintained and use it at least twice a week from sometime in april (whenever the ice is off) until I'm breaking ice to get at the ducks in the fall. It gets used and abused a lot, but keeps on going strong.

If it is infact a plugged exhaust, how do I go about un-plugging it?

Heres a few pics so you can see what I"m talking about.

You can see the smoke stains just under the 40 sticker.

P4050011.jpg

A little closer

P4050008.jpg

From the back

P4050009.jpg

The exhaust ports look pretty nasty tho don't they....?

P4050010.jpg

Compression seems fine, the engine runs perfect.....except for last fall when it was really cold. I keep it docked all season, and it was frozen in once or twice ( minor skim of ice), but I don't think that had anything to do with it. It was blowing smoke from here way before the cold weather came.

What do ya think?

Thanks in advance for any input.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Plugged exaust?

Looks like the exhaust gasket has let go. Do you have a manual where you can look at an exploded view of the parts?

40mariner

Cadet

No, I don't have a manual.

One other person told me the same thing tho......

Is this a hard job to do myself? I'm fairly handy, but no marine mechanic.

Thanks for the reply!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

You have to remove the power head to put a new gasket on. To do that you need to get a factory manual for your particular motor and follow the step by step instructions to remove it and put it back in. It's not that hard..just a bit daunting to the first time DIY'er

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no one here that can tell you if you can do the job or not, my wife is handy, but couldn't fix it if her life depended on it. Even with all the manuals and tools.
Get an OEM manual and read it and study it for what you want to do. Then determine if you have the abilities and tools to do the job.

40mariner

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm calling my mechanic in the morning.