Lieutenant
broke a bolt changing water pump
salt corrosion prob it is outer bolt in exaust houseing
how screwed am i can it be removed tapped or heli coiled
benny 1963

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: broke bolt lower unit

Is there any part left that could be held with visegrips?

Edit: Like iwombat says, heat, plenty of it, before you turn what is left of the bolt back and forth.

iwombat

Captain

Once you remove the lower unit there may be enough protruding to grab onto with vice grips. If you can do that, apply some heat with a torch and it'll probably come right out with a little back-and-forth work.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

if bolt is broke off flush can they be drilled and removed retapped up a size or helicoiled
mechanic at repair shop i called said that the saltwater
may have require new exhaust housing evin 150 crossflow 1981

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you aren't experienced in drilling stainless steel bolts and installing heli-coils, my best advice is let somebody do it that is experienced. And I mean Really experienced and good at it. Steel bolts in aluminum are bad enough but stainless is a real challenge for the novice. And whatever you do, keep those consarned "easy-outs" out of there. Broken easy-outs, broken drill bits, and broken taps are just about the end of the line for that hole.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes i understsnd am going to take it to the mech
that told me i might have to change ex housing
the bolt is soft for a stainless bolt
thanks benny 1963

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You say "The bolt is soft for a stainless bolt" Therein lies part of the problem. Stainless steel will surprise you. As soon as you start drilling it, it will begin to "work-harden" and before you get very far it is hard as a rock.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Drilling stainless is a bit of an art, work slow, use a very slow drill and use plenty of cutting compound like trefolex. .

Basicly when I do it I put pressure on for a few seconds , then back off for a few seconds, then back on etc......

As F R said, if you don't know how to do, get someone with lots of experiance. I would be doubtfull that a new housing would be needed.
It's only 26 years old....... people have motors that more than twice that age and can still fix problems like that without having to replace the leg. My 40hp is from 1968, it had several problems like your's and all were fixed any major drama. And yes....It has seen only saltwater use in its 39 years of service.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stainless can be drilled and tapped quite easily with the correct equipment, cutting speeds and fluids, however I do not recomment it for a novice. Heat, gentle rocking to get it started with vice grips or a small pipe wrench is the best way to start. Worst case scenario is to drill with a left hand drill and tap a left hand thread into it then as you tighten into the thread you are actually drawing the old shell out.
Needs an expert to do this though, especially with stainless. Stainless has many grades so until you start cutting it you dont really know what you have got !!
Good Luck.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

thank you all very much will take tour advice
benny1963