Chevy Trk Problem

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its a 1997 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 305. Monday went to start it and it would'nt. Plenty of elect. sounded like it was starved for gas. Went and got a fuel filter (which had been changed less than 3 months ago) replaced and it started right up. Today same problem will not start. I have taken the filter off 2 times, still wont start. Help?! The dang thing is at work, my wife works same place, I nights her days, so I have a car. I guess it could be the fuel pump? Is there a way one can tell whats wrong.<br />Thanks.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Chevy Trk Problem

88, I had a '94 that would do the same thing.<br />I poured a little gas down it and it would run intill I quit.<br /><br />Ended up being in tank fuel pump.

SpinnerBait_Nut

One more thing 88, take you a rag and lay under where the gas line hooks to carb, and loosen, not remove gas line.<br /><br />Turn key on and see if you get a steady stream of gas coming out.<br /><br />If fuel pump is good, it will pump a steady stream untill resistance is felt against it.

jasonballard

Seaman

Seen this before. The fuel pump is working but not building enough pressure to start the engine. I would think if you changed the pump, you would be on your way.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guyz, infact some guyz at work have done what u had sugested spinner, (one guy disconected and the other turned the key.....no gas). Pump, another guy is takeing an electrical part to auto zone to be tested, and another guy offered to help me put the new pump on at no charge......how bout the sh#%. Only in America!!!<br />Thanks alot again

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMG, the dealer wants 700.00 bucks to put in the pump. Is this something I can do myself?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes you can do it, but you'll either have to remove the pickup bed, or drop the fuel tank down... :eek: Thats the hard part...<br /><br /> Once thats all out of the way, loosen the fittings and knock the retaining ring on top of the tank loose, the entire pump/fuel sender assembly comes out as one piece...

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snapper, do u know of a web site I can visit, which would show this in detail, or a book. Or could you please e-mail me <br />cho755@classicnet.net<br />I'll be off next 3 days, so I have the time<br />Thanks for your time<br />I'm going to go in to work now to try to prime it, get it started and get it home to work on.

SpinnerBait_Nut

88, first get all the gas you can out of it if possible. Then use a floor jack to support tank while taking loose. Don't forget filler neck, it will ba attached to bed.<br /><br />Then after getting loose, slowly lower jack making sure not to pull any wires etc. loose untill you get it down to where you can see what snapperbait was talking about.<br /><br />Not an easy job, but not near nowhere the $700.<br />That's a pure rip-off.<br /><br />Make sure you install new strainer if pump does not come with one cause these get stopped up and that is big reason these pumps fail.<br /><br />Hint: Always keep plenty gas in if you can. Makes pump work less.

SpinnerBait_Nut

88, if fuel pump is out, won't do you any good to prime, cause as soon as prime is gone, motor will quit.

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

not just chevy overpricing. had the same thing happen about 9 years ago on my nissan. they wanted 850$ to tow it in and replace it. No way. decided to do it my self. was on the side of the highway. pulled it into a gateway and pulled tank(almost empty) and replaced it. took about 150$. 125$ for the pump and 25$ for the beer i had to buy my buddy to help me.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Spinners got it nailed down.. Hate to say it but, Get a service manual... :p I have the Haynes manual, covers 1988-1998 chevy trucks...Pretty good book.. ;)

NOSLEEP

Commander

High pressure fuel pumps require 70 psi to operate<br />correctly. They fail at 65 psi.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Now that I think about it.... B4 you tear into it, pop the hood and remove the plastic cover on the passengers side firewall... Check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay first...

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

At work now, and have replaced filter, and put alittle gas down the carb, starts up runs 15 sec<br />and quits....dangit. Looking for a tow truck.<br />The good news is the parts house where I got the filter, has a small repait shop right next door, I told the guy about chevy wanting 700.00 for the job and that I was going to do it myself, he said oh no, let me do it for you for 90.00 + part, I think I'm going to let this guy do it.....<br />Thanks again guyz, and yes I will check the fuse befor doing anything.<br />You know what I find to be so ironic(sp) is the same day I buy my wife a new car mine breaks down!<br />Just my luck I guess?<br />Thanks