Adding Pee Hole

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 73 135hp Evinrude that does not have a water outlet on the belly pan of the motor. It would be reassuring to have that indicator installed on this motor. What would be the parts and procedure to add a tell tale?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding Pee Hole

Look at the top side of the starboard cylinder bank, just behind the cylinder head gasket If there is a round extension there, it is a good place to get into the water.

Then you need a 1/8 inch i.d. threaded nipple, part 321886, some hose and the overboard indicator nipple part 321885 that goes through the floor of the lower cowl.

You need a drill, a tap, some gasket sealer.

When you drill and tap the block, put heavy grease on the bit to catch the filings so that they will not get in the engine.

Attachments

• V4 tell tale.jpg
    V4 tell tale.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Be careful drilling. The water jacket isn't deep. You'll probably drill thru quicker than you think.

Whatever you do, don't drill thru a second wall.

burroak

You're making me nervous!

Is that experience talking? What depth would you set a stop collar on the bit?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you want to wait till morning I'll put a caliper on one and give you an exact depth.

burroak

Oh, I can wait to drill through the water jacket into the cylinder. :D

I won't be doing any work on the motor until this weekend. And I will surely appreciate that measurement.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are careful, I don't think you will go too deep. You are drilling into the water jacket which is maybe 1/4 space as I remember but really don't know exactly. The factory used to drill and tap that area for a hot water source for the automatic choke of years past.

BTW, that is my picture. Glad to share.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, the jacket is about 1/4" deep in that area. Just don't be surprised at how quickly you drill thru the outer part of the block. The inner would take longer to drill thru, it's much thicker and has a steel sleeve on the other side. It's no biggie.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

At the level, from the center of the round protrusion to the outside surface of the water jacket is +/- .597" say 60. From that point to the inside surace of the water jacket is .30" and the cylinder wall is .28" depending on how many times it has been worked.

If I were doing that work, I would piull the cylinder head anyway. Head gaskets are cheap enough.

Edit: the head gasket lists for 16.75. Part 321,886 lists for 1.60. Part 321,885 lists for 2.98. Clear tubing from the local hardware +/- 1.00.

burroak

You are most helpful.

If I am understanding you correctly, a collar stop should be 19/32" up on the drill bit? What is you thinking on pulling the head? The $17 is not the issue; I'm just not clear on why ?

Thanks for taking the time and interest.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am quite sure the idea for pulling the head is so you can see in there and see the drill point as it breaks thru into the water jacket. On the other hand, I still say you should be able to tell just by feel when it breaks thru into a 1/4" space. But take whatever precautions you feel are necessary according to your own skill and comfort level.

burroak

I got lost in the terrain of the power head. The removal of the head allows one to see into the water jacket. One could even place a strip of 1/8" aluminum as a backstop. Any cuttings could be vac'd out also. Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

19/32 would put you in the water jacket on the lower side, maybe. Very close.

Cylinder head: I would probably do that just to be able to see what I'm doing. If it were my own motor, though, I'm not so sure that I would bother.

Check the fitting, I think the drill is 11/32 and the tap 1/8-27 NPT.

burroak

I am with you , if were my motor.

My youngest son and I have worked the better part of a year off and on restoring a 73 18 Starcraft SuperSport. It has been rewarding on many levels: a good sound boat, maybe better than the original; the number 3 son learning much of the basics that it takes to run and maintain a boat; but most of all, he is learning that you don't have to throw tens of thousand of dollars at a boating experience --- just thousands.:D

The short of it, for him, seeing is believing. It would comfort him to see the water spew out like all the motors his friends in his fishing club have. Maybe, after understanding the process, he won't think it is that important either. Either way, I sure appreciate the time and information.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

One of the good things about having that tell-tale set up is that you can tee in a water pressure guage if you ever want to. It is the easiest way to monitor your water pump's performance level.

iwombat

Captain

I did this real recently. Only, I went through the top of the cylinder since i didn't have the little round nub in my casting. When you drill the pilot hole with a 1/8" or whatever bit, it'll be real clear when you've passed through to the water jacket. It'd take a severe lack of attention to go any further. Still, I'd recommend pulling the head gasket. If for no other reason than to make sure you didn't put the pipe fitting in too deeply and bottom out on the far side of the jacket.