1995 120 force low rpm with an occasional surge to full power

eye grabber

Recruit
I bought a trophy with a 120 hp force outboard (1995) last year. Ran great for first part of season, then low rpm (2500) problem started to show up on hot days or after long runs. Kept getting worse untill the low rpm problem became the rule and not the exception. In talking to boatwise friend, he told me that force was notorius for that problem and that it was usually the stator. Over the winter I got a seloc manual and inslalled a new stator.I put the boat in yesterday with the same old problem 2500 rpm 7mph by GPS., As we were coming in we got 2 short bursts of full power(40 seconds) any suggestions would be appreciated. eye grabber

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 120 force low rpm with an occasional surge to full power

Welcome to iboats eye grabber.

Yes there was a stator issue, but several other things could cause the same problem.

Try trouble shooting and diagnosing the problem, rather than throwing parts and money at the problem.

First things first.
Do you have a compression problem?
Is there a spark/ignition issue?
Or is it a fuel delivery problem?

Not likely a compression problem, but wise to check it before sticking tons of time and money into the motor.

Lacking spark? Maybe. If so, then determine if it is a wiring issue, a stator issue, a trigger issue, a switchbox problem, or just old weak coils.

Fuel issue, could be. Is there fuel getting to all carbs?
Is the fuel getting to the cylinders?
Could be a failed fuel pump diaphragm, or a plugged up carb, or misadjusted float, etc.

The Seloc manual isn't very good for Force motors, but it better than nothing.
The Clymer is much better.

Isolate the problem, identify the cause.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem come up with my Force after decarbing the motor. Turned out to be plug fouling. After swapping and cleaning plugs a few times, the problem eventually went away.

eye grabber

Recruit

i got a clymer manual. It is much better. went through the engine it has good comression , and fuel pressure. Found out the red and red/white wires were reversed coming from the stator.not sure if i did this when i installed the new stator or if i followed a mistake from the last guy that worked on it.now im waiting for the weather to let me put it in and try it under load.thanks for the suggestions. eye grabber

eye grabber

Recruit

I have the boat back in and it only went about 7 mph untill it got down to about 1/2 tank then it took off. I topped off the tank and it ran poor untill i burned up some of the gas.It looks like 82 gals of gas and 3 guys is to much for the 120 hp engine.