Major gelcoat repair information needed

Hey guys! new to this site, a good friend told me about this web site and maybe someone out there can help me with this problem. I have a 18' bass boat and the other day i was running to my fishing hole for some pre tournament fishing. Without any worning i stuck a log and put a 6" crack in the haul. I have been reading some other post about gelcoat repair but haven't came across anything close to my problem. I need some help if someone knows anything about making this repair. Here is some pictures of the crack.

Attachments

• DSCF0750.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 0
  • DSCF0752.JPG
Re: Major gelcoat repair information needed

looks like the pictures didn't download

Attachments

• DSCF0750.JPG
  • DSCF0751.JPG

Bondo

Staff member

Without any worning i stuck a log and put a 6" crack in the haul.

That's Way More than a Gelcoat Repair.........

I'm Guessing there's Structrual Damage in there as Well..........

The Best Way to do it, is from the Inside of the hull.....

You have to Pull whatever is in the way, to See what you've got to Work with......

Bond-o
Thats what i was afraid of to. I pulled the inside apart and didn't see any cracks or sign of major damage on the inside. I may lay a couple layers of fiberglass just be on the safe side. But back to the out side what is needed to be done to fix this damage. Is this a gelcoat or fiber glass repair?
anybody..

Attachments

• DSCF0750.JPG

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Lets see some photos from both sides (inside and out) and some close ups and general ones of the area of the boat that is damaged.

studlymandingo

Commander

[
DSCF0750.jpg

MMMMM.......That looks suspiciously like rot juice coming out of that gash. Are there any stringers near this area? What is the age/ make of this boat?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

That is sure not pretty.
Does look like there may be a little wet rot inside there. How old and what make is your boat ?

It is 97 Ebbtide Dyna trak 18" bass boat. I really didn't want to turn it in as a ins claim until i know for sure, if the damage was non repairable. There in not two many shops around my area that can or have the expers to fix this type of damage. I have worked in several auto body shops in the past but working on something made of metal is not the same as working with gelcoat. I have with fiberglass but agian gelcoat is new to me.

Studlymandingo, HOW did you get that picture posted??
I have been tring for three days LOL..

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Holy moly...that looks like it was dumped off of the trailer onto a ramp. The whole end of the strake is gone and it looks like your keel is broken. The gelcoat is the least of your concerns. You've got some serious structural keel damage and apparently water intrusion into who knows how much of the glass. Must have been one heck of a log...