Evinrude e50esl original prop?

I would like to know what the original pitch was on the original prop for my motor? It is a 1997 model year 50 horse electric start with t/t. Or maybe what the recommended prop range would have been? i bought my boat used with a 11-3/4 x 17 aluminum prop. I run the river a lot! i would like to try the propulse 4 blade composite prop, but the pitch adjustability range is from 12 - 16 inches per prop revolution. that would represent a possible 200 to 400 rpm increase. That is a change my boat is not presently set up to detect, no tach...for now! thanks for any info you have!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude e50esl original prop?

What size and type of boat is this engine on. 40 and 50 Johnny/Rudes were typically fitted with 15 or 17P props. My last boat was a 16 foot walleye boat and I ran 13, 15, and 17 pitch. The rig was happiest with the 15P and put the wide open throttle RPM at about 5800 which is perfect for that engine. Depending on the boat, the 17 may be just a tad too much prop. The 12-1/4 x 15 would work if thats the case.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The only outboards that come with props from the factory are tiller models under 40Hp. Everything else has to be fitted according to what it's mounted to. The same motor could end-up on a light speedboat or a large pontoon boat. I'm afraid that without a full throttle RPM, we can't be of much help.

ok, first things first, motor has troubles running, need to add a tach, so I'll revisit when all else is running. thx

kp913

Seaman

If you are going with a 4 blade, the drop in pitch won't gain you that much RPM, because you are also adding a blade.

walleyehed

Admiral

The difference in blade design is an unknown...The 16 in 4-bld will be close to the same RPM as the 17 in 3-bld if the blade design is close to the same. You will lose some top-end with the 4 unless you are willing to raise the engine a hole or 2, and in that case, you may see that 16 is not enough pitch. If you're leaving the engine mounted where it is, at 16P in 4-bld, you likely won't see much change in RPM, but you will see a drop in speed.