1995 Force 90hp with intermittent high RPM at idle

Good1

Recruit
My '95 Force 90 has started an intermittent high RPM problem at idle and at throttle (prop hub is fine). RPMs will jump from 500 to 2500 at idle and back to 750-1000 range again, then back to 2000-2500. This is happening with no change in throttle or anything else. A couple times this occured then the RPMs returned to normal idle so I gave it a little throttle. RPMs shot up to 5000-6000 range under very little throttle. This has occured on my last 2 outtings but sometimes the motor behaves as perfect as it has for the previous 12 years.
any clues???

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Force 90hp with intermittent high RPM at idle

Does it clunk when it goes back down to normal RPM? If it does, your shift cables, linkage or control box may be worn and it is jumping out of gear then going back in. Right now, that's the only thing I can think of to check. If it clunks and these components are ok then the next thing to check would be worn dogs on the clutch and forward gear. Check it in reverse. That gear gets a lot less wear and the dogs are usually in much better condition than the forward ones. If it doesn't clunk, I need to think some more about it.