dramatic miss 25hp evenrude

carter

Recruit
My 1993 25hp Enenrude strats and runs perfect 99% of the time. But about every hr or two of running time it will dramatically miss , as if truning the motor on and off as fast as possible. It will happen when hot or cold, and at any speed over idle . When returned to idle all seems fine, try to abvance speed, the miss ,bad enough to shake the boat starts again. Through trial and error I've found that by turning the motor off ,waiting say 5 sec and restarting, motor is good to go, for another hr maybe two. Thanks for any help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: dramatic miss 25hp evenrude

check all your wiring, sounds like a loose connection, or a wire shorting out. have you check the spark on each cylinder when it is acting up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do you have a kill switch lanyard, check it.

carter

Recruit

Kill switch is new, plugs and plug wires are new, compression is ok. I've never been able to create the problem when on the trailer.

iwombat

Captain

Sounds to me like a bad ground. Corroded or charred connectors will drastically change their conductive properties when heated. Cooling the motor down for 5 minutes may actually change the connector enough to conduct properly until it heats up again. Check and clean all your grounds.

carter

Recruit

Good thought. I'll go through the grounds. The problem occurs so seldom it may be a while before I can report back .Thanks much