Alpha 1 exhaust bellows question

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am running through transom exhaust. Do I really need to run an exhaust bellows? I have tried searching the threads but there are too many on exhaust bellows to look at them all. I am replacing the u-joint bellows and don't want to make extra work for myself, and I understand that the exhaust bellows is a real PITA.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 exhaust bellows question

I would think yes.I doubt you want all of the exhaust gasses pouring out at the gimble housing.That would put extra heat on the shift and u-joint bellows plus more fumes into the boat..
I'm sure some Merc guys will chime in..

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Then use an exhaust tube.....;)

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To clarify, all of my exhaust gasses come out the 4" stainless through transom exhaust tips. There is a blockoff plate on the inner transom plate so the bellows is just there for looks as far as I can discern.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I misunderstood you.....
If you have thru hull exhaust, then you do not need it.....;)

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I didn't want to mess with it if I didn't have to.

Bondo

Staff member

There is a blockoff plate on the inner transom plate so the bellows is just there for looks as far as I can discern.

Ayuh,........... No need for an Exhaust Bellows.............

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

I think the masters say something serious here!
My boat is a sea-ray 1978 with a merc A1 and V8 305GM 228hp.I found the exhaust bellows out of place and worn.until now no prolem.A new one . But when i took out the u-joint bellows i got crazy . A lot of resin (epoxy metal glue )on the housing where the bellows tightens with the crimp cramp.I thought that somebody cracked the housing triying to pull out the gimbal bearing.But if so why glue to the other end?Maybe corrosion of the alluminium and wanted to amplify the points?
Now i think that it's the exhaust bellows' blame.Am i right masters? What should i do now?Was the alluminium cracked by the heat of the fumes? the points with the glue look good.Are they ?or my Kalipso will become a Titanic?I can't afford now a new even a second-hand housing.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

A leaky exhaust bellows will not hurt anything, or sink your boat......
The metal on the flanges may be degraded, hence the epoxy fix......
The only thing you really need to be concerned with is the flanges that the u joint bellows connects to, as long as they look good, you are OK.......;)......

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

Bad estimation!Both flanges were cracked.Who would pay attention to degraded points if they weren't cracked?