Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I am getting real PO'd at this. It just started a short time ago and they are doing it every 2 weeks or so and it is the only thing that they are presenting. Under the guise of Windows Updates, they are continually checking to see if my copy of XP is genuine. Once they issue it, you can't get rid of it until you accept it and let it check.

I know that I could turn off Automatic Updates, but I am sure that if I went to retrieve any updates, this would be included.:|

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

The most frustrating part is the Microsoft Commercial at the end..... "you have qualified for an upgrade to windows vista at a reduced price...." I can't believe they have resorted to those cheap tactics. I wonder what happens when it finds a bogus copy of windows? I wonder if it installs a virus? I would not put it past the programmers.

i386

Captain

bend over

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Hmmm...I haven't seen this problem. We have over 100 machines, including 16 servers, that are fully updated. And I have 2 servers and 4 machines at home and have not experinced this here either.

Unless you have not excepted the validation. Then except it.

ZmOz

Captain

You can easily check the updates before you download them, uncheck the ones you don't want, and click a button somewhere that says "do not notify me of this update in the future" or something like that.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Worse than SPAM. Pretends to be useful update.

RATZAKRATZA!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know they let you see what it is all about. But if you choose not to download it, it just hangs around until it wears you down. The worst part is, that if your XP is not legal, it won't let you load it up to begin with.

ZmOz

Captain

Boomyal said:
But if you choose not to download it, it just hangs around until it wears you down.

No...I'm too tired to look right now, but I know there is a setting to make the things you don't want disappear forever. I specifically didn't download it and I am never notified of it now.

It's pretty easy to make anything from microsoft work with an "illegal" copy of XP too. One of my computers uses a copy I downloaded...I have a legal license for that computer...but it was just easier to download then find my legal copy. Everything works perfect, including every microsoft update as of today...with just a few tricks. ;)

I don't understand why msoft bothers with all this crap at all, it's like metal detectors at the airport...they only detect the idiots who forget the tweezers in their pocket...

rwise

Captain

Note from Bill Gates:
"We want your money"

i386

Captain

^^^ No problem with that. Just stop hassling me afterward.

Summer Fun

Banned

Just say yes ...Its no big deal.....Jeez.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

IF you open the update icon on your task bar, select custom and you should be able to uncheck the box and say no to the update.

update.jpg

Summer Fun

Banned

Why??To no updates Its no big deal to see .if you are boot legging windows.If you are.. turn it off .

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

It's only no to that one update. It's not saying no to all or future updates.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I run XP Pro and have automatic updates turned on for 3 am. I don't much care what MS checks on my machine at that hour.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

ZmOz said:
You can easily check the updates before you download them, uncheck the ones you don't want, and click a button somewhere that says "do not notify me of this update in the future" or something like that.

Exactly! That is what I have done. Do NOT take the "Express install" . Instead, choose the "Custom Install". Then uncheck the offending update, and close the update window. It will ask "do not notify me of this update in the future" and say yes.

End of problem.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Mark42 said:
ZmOz said:

Exactly! That is what I have done. Do NOT take the "Express install" . Instead, choose the "Custom Install". Then uncheck the offending update, and close the update window. It will ask "do not notify me of this update in the future" and say yes.

End of problem.

These verification updates that I am speaking of were stand alone updates with no provisions for "do not notify me of this update in the future"

ZmOz

Captain

Boomyal said:
These verification updates that I am speaking of were stand alone updates with no provisions for "do not notify me of this update in the future"

Then how come I didn't download them and I don't get the notification anymore? ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Boomyal said:
But if you choose not to download it, it just hangs around until it wears you down.

Sounds like a girl I used to date....