Lame Duck President

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"I have no intentions of being a lame duck President, unless of course, Cheney accidentally shoots me in the leg." GWB

He also said he is going to write a book after his term ends.....a "pop-up book."

Funny stuff.

He had several funny lines during his speech at the radio and television banquet, mostly poking fun at himself. I think he has a shot at comedy when he finishes up in the WH.

Although I continue to dislike the direction he has taken the US, it does cause me to appreciate him a bit more as a person.

ob

Admiral
Re: Lame Duck President

I didn't like the direction Clinton took the US and disliked him as a person.8)

QC

Supreme Mariner

CJY,

When you see him in a non-political or non-confrontational environment, and listen to his words, it is very hard not to like the guy. I am a big supporter, as you know, but generally think his body language and facial expressions hoover big-time. Frankly, I think at least half of the dislike is about superficial stuff . . .

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

QC,

Fortunately or unfortunately, I see him as the President of the US first and as a person second. I'm sure my vision of him as a person is clouded by my perceived reality of him as the Prez. It is difficult to completely dislike him as the Prez yet look past that to see the person. It was different seeing him as a speaker/comedian rather than the Prez. He really was entertaining.

ob,

I don't think you are the only one on that boat. Just one of the many, many great things about living free in the USA. We sure are lucky to be citizens of the USA.8)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I saw the clips on TV and it's good to see him like that. Having some fun.
Are we seeing a kinder and gentler CJY? :%

ob

Admiral

I cracked up the first time I saw GW and the GW look alike/impersonator comedian side by side on stage several months back exchanging comments.

QC

Supreme Mariner

CJY said:
Fortunately or unfortunately, I see him as the President of the US first and as a person second. I'm sure my vision of him as a person is clouded by my perceived reality of him as the Prez. It is difficult to completely dislike him as the Prez yet look past that to see the person. It was different seeing him as a speaker/comedian rather than the Prez. He really was entertaining.

Very good post and I agree. This is why when people suggest they vote for the "man". I have a problem. In fact I really wouldn't care about Clinton's indiscretions at all, it it weren't for the image it gave our children and the potential for serious blackmail stuff, and for the besmirching of the office. It really is meaningless as far as how one runs the country. This is why I believe more in a party line vote these days. The party's policies and how well you think this guy will carry them out, that matters most. As far as fiscal responsibility is concerned, and immigration, I dislike Bush. As far as recognizing real threats to us vs. perceived calamities of the environment, I think he is the man!!

I am not sure any of us are immune to any of these "perceptions" and of course it is reality . . .

PW2

Commander

QC said:
CJY,

When you see him in a non-political or non-confrontational environment, and listen to his words, it is very hard not to like the guy. I am a big supporter, as you know, but generally think his body language and facial expressions hoover big-time. Frankly, I think at least half of the dislike is about superficial stuff . . .

Depends, I suppose, on what you define as "superficial".

I've always thought he was a personable, charming guy, especially in small groups or one on one situations, and have rarely heard any arguments to the contrary

I also think he genuinely believes what he is doing is the right thing for this country.

I can't wait for his administration to be over.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Plainsman said:
I saw the clips on TV and it's good to see him like that. Having some fun.
Are we seeing a kinder and gentler CJY? :%

No, I don't think so. Typically, when I am discussing GWB, I am talking about the President of the US and his policies. Today I happened to be speaking about GWB, the person.

I have a difficult time combining them into the same. I believe QC has done this long ago, if I read his post correcly.

Some days you have those moments of clarity, its then you realize that no matter how much biotching we do, we are still going to be where we were headed in the first place.

Both sides are screaming the other side is at fault, and no matter what you or I say, we will continue to believe as we have. It simply gets old hearing and saying the same old thing day to day.

QC got me to thinking on another thread. He said something to the affect that libs never change their thoughts and opinions. I don't necessarily agree but I do believe the same could be said about both sides of the fence.

I like to believe I am open-minded enough that if evidence arises to discredit my thoughts and opinions, I could change them. I still believe this. Just because I have not to this point, does not mean something won't happen tomorrow that could/would change them.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You would think the leader of the free world could & would at least learn to pronounce the word "nuclear" correctly. Every time he says "newk-yee-ler" he just sounds like such a boob. Sorry.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I hope the 'Lame Duck" drops some bombs on Iran, before he is done......;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

CJY said:
.......QC got me to thinking on another thread. He said something to the affect that libs never change their thoughts and opinions.

Liberals only never change their minds on a given subject when their position on that subject is really only an excuse to accomplish an unstated goal. A goal that really has no relationship to the subject they have chosen to use to accomplish that goal.

Case in point, the liberal's position on the Iraq war. It is an illogical positition that they tenaciously cling to for the sole purpose of unseating the opposition.:|

How about another example? The libs trying to criminalise the removal of 9 Attorneys General. They know there was no crime, yet they persist in trying to trap members of the opposition into making statements that could be proven to be obstruction of justice. Why do they persist? For the sole purpose of unseating the opposition.

PW2

Commander

Boomyal said:
CJY said:
.......QC got me to thinking on another thread. He said something to the affect that libs never change their thoughts and opinions.

Liberals only never change their minds on a given subject when their position on that subject is really only an excuse to accomplish an unstated goal. A goal that really has no relationship to the subject they have chosen to use to accomplish that goal.

Case in point, the liberal's position on the Iraq war. It is an illogical positition that they tenaciously cling to for the sole purpose of unseating the opposition.:|

How about another example? The libs trying to criminalise the removal of 9 Attorneys General. They know there was no crime, yet they persist in trying to trap members of the opposition into making statements that could be proven to be obstruction of justice. Why do they persist? For the sole purpose of unseating the opposition.

Hmmm....Boomie. So I assume the conservative position is the opposite one...Namely that the role of the American military is to be fighting in the middle of an endless foreign civil war, And...

It is right and proper that the Attorney General of the United States lie to congress and the American people if it somehow suits the needs of our president and his political advisors.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

treedancer

Commander

Quote Boomyal

Liberals only never change their minds on a given subject when their position on that subject is really only an excuse to accomplish an unstated goal.

OK Boom when was the last time you have changed any of your opinions on a subject ?….Hmmmm8)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Generalization Warning! Generalization Warning! Semi-Off Topic Warning! Semi-Off Topic Warning! Multiple Warning, Warning!!

What I said, that CJY is referring to, is that "liberals" often throw logic out the window when they see a political benefit to a position. The example I used was that rolmops trusted the same Govt that caused the Walter Reed scandal to manage his health-care. That is illogical to me . . . There are many examples, the US Attorney deal is another. Defending Al Gore is a really good one. The scientific community who is worshipped by the left has shunned the Goracle, yet the left continues to Worship Gore too . . . can't have it both ways = illogical to me. But supporting him helps with an agenda item, so it's OK. I can go on and on and on . . .
Here's a really, really good one: If I knew what I know now I would not have voted to go to Iraq. That's like saying, if I knew that the chicken I ate was covered in salmonella I wouldn't have eaten it. Of course, obvious, stupid, illogical statements, but politically it is advantageous so it's OK . . .

I don't feel the same about conservatives in general, so I lean that direction. It is logical to say that Kyoto as written will hurt our economy, it is also logical that Kyoto as written will not slow Global Warming (scientific position), so regardless of the intended benefits of Kyoto, and the political benefit to be seen doing something instead of nothing, it is illogical to support it, so most conservatives don't. Another example, a majority of the American people want us out of Iraq, it is politically advantageous to agree with the public. It is illogical to publicise a withdrawal date. It is obviously illogical to tell your enemy when you are gonna do anything, and it is illogical to make decisions about a future you cannot see. So, despite the political hit a conservative will take from voting against a withdrawal, most conservatives still do, as that is the logical position.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

QC, I won't necessarily disagree with what you have said. This is political, and as politics go, can you be absolutely sure the right side of the fence would not be doing the same if we had a democrat in the WH right now as well as for the past 6 years(assuming the war and all other events stayed the same).

I tend to believe the biotching, posturing and grandstanding would continue....just with a new set of cheerleaders.

Announcing a withdrawal date, highly illogical, and stupid all together. Setting one......another story and a bit more logical given the state of Iraq and the division of its people.

ob

Admiral

PW2 said:
I can't wait for his administration to be over.

Well it will be soon enough ,and if all this liberal administration conspiracy theorist spewing Rosie rhetoric has been effective,then you can bask in the seemingly orgasmic enlightenment of the likes of Hillary and Barack.I can almost see it now as they all stand in the victory circle,confetti raining, in the company of Pelosi and Rosie with their interlocking pinkies raised above their heads while 'slick' Willy blows on his sax accompanying a 'We are the World' presentation sung by Al Gore,Sean Penn,Alec Baldwin,and Martin Sheen sponsored by Motel 6 on the ABC network.

treedancer

Commander

We all have our crosses to bare don’t we? We have Rosie and you have…they say a picture is worth a thousand words.8)

bush-foley-size.jpg
e

ob

Admiral

Diference between you and me is that I don't lay claim to anyone or any party except myself.That's what the problem is.All this specific party loyalty regardless of the rhetoric they spew or agendas they push.And BTW.Your party has a lot more baggage than just Rosie.