mulling over mulch over rocks

mattwahm

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 15' x 8' area along the front of my house and another large patch along the back of the house that is covered in those small 1" size white stones. I'd prefer not to deal with the arduous task of removing all of these stones. Rather, I would like to first cover them with that black mesh that prevents weeds from coming through and then cover the mesh with a good layer wood mulch. Think this would work or is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mulling over mulch over rocks

matt - I am doing just the opposite - taking out mulch & putting in rocks.

Mulch is real hi-maintenance. The weed block works for a short while - then the mulch begins to decompose - into the best topsoil you will ever see. All kinds of stuff will grow in there - most of it unkillable weeds & fungus. It looks great when you first put it down - but it starts to lose color quick & you have to rake it over. But that only works a few times & you have to add a fresh layer every year (twice a year where I am).

Then you have the leaf problem in the fall - you can use the backpack blower on the rocks where the mulch will blow away with the leaves.

I'd stick with the rocks. If you don't like the white color, you can get a wide variety at any landscape supplier. Just dump'em right on top, or add the weed block over what you have if weeds are a problem.

i386

Captain
Re: mulling over mulch over rocks

I'm skeerd of termites. Pinestraw chokes out just about anything except Kudzu (which confuses Roundup with Miracle Grow) and I don't think termites like it. If I was going to do it, I'd take out the rocks because it'll be a PITA if you decide to plant something else or make other changes later.