depthfinder power cable

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is a dumb question but I just want to make sure. I was given an Eagle magna 3 plus depthfinder. The power cable was cut off rather short. I want to extend it a few feet. What guage and what type wire should I use. Can I get it at radio shack or someting like that or do I need to buy a whole new power cable from eagle? Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: depthfinder power cable

14 gauge wire will be fine. Use heat shrink tubing on the splices. You appear to be a fresh water boater so in that application stranded wire be fine and it can be obtained at any dept store that sells auto parts, or any auto parts store.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Actually, 16 ga wire will be sufficient.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. got the wire and and heat srink tubing at an auto supply store. I have never used heat shrink tubing before. Could someone explain this application. thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Cut two pieces of shrink tubing a little longer the splice. The tubing must cover the entire splice and a portion of the insulation at each side. Slide a piece of tubing on each wire. If the tubing is large enough to cover both wires, slide a third piece over both wires well away from the other two. Make the splice (solder or crimp). If you solder, wait until the splice cools and then place the heat shrink over the splice. Using a match, heat the tubing. It will shink and seal the splice. Rotate the wire so heat is not concentrated in one spot. When both splices have been made, slide the third piece of tubing over the other two and shrink it. You now have a nice neat joint.