water from pee hole is pretty warm

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I started up my new, used, 1994 120 johnson model j120tlerk , she fired up real good ran fine. While keeping a close eye on cylinder head temps and waiting for the tell tale to pour out, it seems to take longer to start than my 1983 115 rude ..but it does ...anyway. the water was getting pretty warm ..almost hot ...thats when i shut it down. I dont think the water should be that warm but dont want to do damage. checked impeller ,all seems well , checked t stats ,, never seen those kind b4 , Im thinkin maybe pull head covers off to clean ? any ideas guys .thks ......Leo

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: water from pee hole is pretty warm

What were you monitoring the head temps with and what was the temp of the motor when the tell tale started getting hot? I'm not sure the tell tale runs through the block on that motor, I think it's just a bypass, for an indicator.

If that motor is new to you I would go ahead and just replace the water pump kit, you never know how old it is or what it's been through, no matter how it looks.

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thks Criket... I was using my digital m meter that has the "wire" temp gauge ...it was approaching 130f but by that time the water was pretty warm from the tell tale ,so i shut it down .it could have been hotter. Also there was no water coming out from the small exhaust ports just below the engine compartment .new t stats i guess .also no alarms where goin off at that point

dreamchaser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello all, Changed to a new water pump kit , new t stats . problem solved .....d:)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Most of the OMC V4s have an operating temp of around 140 deg.