1988 100hp Mariner 2000 rpm

imported_Joel

Recruit
Hello all, I am looking for a little help and I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas to investigate to solve my problem.

I own a 1988 100 hp Mariner outboard. It runs fine...right up to 2000 rpm and that's as far as she goes. She can run all day that way probably but I don't want to run it because I'm thinking this is an rpm safety lockout so I don't damage my motor. I have looked through my manual but find nothing mentioning possible reasons for it to be limited to 2000 rpm. Does anyone have any ideas that I can investigate?

Thanks
Joel

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1988 100hp Mariner 2000 rpm

I looked and didn't see a rev limiter,but your stator has high speed and low speed windings.I'd grab an ohm meter and your manual and start there.I don't know of a rpm lockout on your motor.

DHP

imported_Joel

Recruit
Re: 1988 100hp Mariner 2000 rpm

Thank you for this info it has been helpful....sort of, but not your fault. I grabbed my manual and headed to the boat after reading your reply. The manual says to unplug the two yellow leads from the stator, done with no problem. Then check between the blue/blue and white and between the red/red and white wires coming from the stator. This is where my trouble begins. I had the original stator replaced with the current stator kit 18-5873 about 8 years ago. The wires coming from my stator are two yellow wires, one white wire with a green stripe and one green wire with a white stripe. Looking at my switch box I see no red or red and white wires at all. I do have a blue/blue and white wires in the switch box which is where the white wire with a green stripe and green wire with a white stripe end up. The only diagram in my manual is for a V6 with two switch boxes (I have one).

What I have is an enigma. I have two wires where my manual says I have four and they are not the colors the manual thinks they are.

Would you have any guidance at all on this?

Stator p/n 398-832075-A3

Thank you for your efforts.
Joel