Old Trailer Disposal

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
have a 1999 painted tandem trailer with 6 bunks. The problem is that it has some severe rust on the frame and on the bunk supports right at the 90 degree bends. I am planning on buying a new trailer, but not sure what to do with the old trailer. There are still some very good parts on the trailer including relatively new (less than 1 yr) brake assemblies, Goodyear Marathon tires, etc...

My new trailer will be galvanized, but will be an exact replacement of my current trailer, so any parts I save from the old will fit the new.

As I look at it I have three options:

One, take the good parts off, keep one new tire and wheel for a spare, sell the remaining tires and wheels, and then just cut up the frame and dispose of it.

Two, take just one wheel and tire for a spare and let the dealer I buying the new trailer from scrape it for parts.

Three, try and sell for as much as I can get for it.

What have others done with their old trailers? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Trailer Disposal

I think you should be able to sell it for something. There is always someone looking for a cheap fixer-upper. Try the on-line auctions sell it as a pick up only. but set a reserve so you don't end up selling it for 1 buck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you are getting a new trailer then sell it for what you can. Use the money for a spare for your new trailer if it does not come with one.

BLLDOGG

Seaman

Atleast do not give it to the dealer. its really no big deal selling it to a scrap yard. might even give you more than you think for it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i keep an old trailer around to use as a utility trailer. or pull it up to a busy corner, and put a for sale sign on it.