Stiff Steering

jv4studio

Cadet
I have a 96 Johnson 115hp on a 18 1/2' center console boat and the steering is really stiff. I am going to try and lube it, but wanted to see if anyone has any tips on doing this, before I remove the cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stiff Steering

try lubing, if it doesn't work replace. does the cable have any sharp bends, try to decrease the bend, i have the same problem with a new cable and can't avoid the sharp bends, when going under the floor mine has 5 bends.

jv4studio

Cadet

I haven't noticed any bends, but I also haven't removed the cable. I took it loose at the motor and the motor section is fine. I was wondering how I should go about lubing it and when I say stiff I mean stiff. I have to use a pretty good amount of strenght to turn it in either direction.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The only steering cables that ever had zurks for lubrication were the Mercury ride-guide cables. Most others are really not designed for periodic lube/maintenance. Likely that the inner cable is starting to fray and the small frayed cable wire ends are catching outer housing of the cable. No amount of lube will correct this. Time to replace it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The cable must be removed from the tilt tube and cleaned and relubricated as part of regular maintenance. Ignore it and you got problems. As you now see. You have to get that cable out of there and clean it up (inside of tube is rusted), and re-lube it. And let this be a lesson. BTW, any grease fittings you see in the area are for lubing the tilt, and don't get at the steering.

jv4studio

Cadet

F_R said:
The cable must be removed from the tilt tube and cleaned and relubricated as part of regular maintenance. Ignore it and you got problems. As you now see. You have to get that cable out of there and clean it up (inside of tube is rusted), and re-lube it. And let this be a lesson. BTW, any grease fittings you see in the area are for lubing the tilt, and don't get at the steering.

Thanks so much. I didn't realize that the grease fittings didn't lube the cable. I am going to tackle this tomorrow. Eventually I am going to go with a hydraulic system, but I need to save a bit for that. Thanks again.

jv4studio

Cadet

Well, I went ahead and pulled the steering cable loose and found that it wasn't the cable after all. It was the steering box at the console. the cable was very easy to pull in and out and after I took it loose at the engine, the engine turned with ease. After I removed the cable I shot some grease in the cable hole and then the cable end and ran it back through. I repeated this a few times. The steering is better, but still is a bit tight. I tried to pull the steering wheel but it looks like it is pressed on with a compression key. Does anyone know how to get the steering wheel off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.