Mercury 700?

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy gang!

I was given an old mercury 700 a few years ago. The motor is in great shape although I've never heard it run. I checked the pistons and the compression is within about 3% of what the book calls for on all 6 cylinders.

My question is this. Every wire on the blasted thing is falling to peices. The insulation is comming off in big chunks like the wires got really hot. Do they sell a wireing harness for this motor? Could I go through the motor with a roll of wire and some no solder connectors and rewire it? Everthing appears to be landed to a post and a nut so this seems feasable to me.

Now beyond that, are these motors known for being runners? I don;t want to waste a lot of time money and patience on this and have it be a waste. I was told by one fella that I should just take it to the scrap yard. Any suggestions?

I don';t have a boat for this motor but if I can get it running then I would look for a boat for this motor. What would you do?

Thanks
Lowell

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury 700?

Need a model number. If its an old "Dock Buster" (direct reverse) I'd sell it. Not worth the effort. It would Ebay for a decent buck just for the parts though

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't find a model # anywhere? Any suggestions as where to look.

I did find the Ser# A1416954.

Thanks,
Lowell

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still can't find the model #. The ser# is on the transom bracket that you mentioned but there is no model #.

The cover plate reads:
MERC 700. Kiekhaefer Mercury

There are some numbers cast into the transom bracket.

1440-

&

HA2014

I don;t know if this helps or not.

Thanks,
Lowell

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Lowell,

I was in your Boat a couple of years ago.

I know; you don't have a boat.....but you know what I mean :) Kinda like saying I was "in your shoes..."

A friend gave me a 1977 Merc 850 (with a boat!) The wires on that one were shot too...seems like most all Mercs have issues with the wires...not sure why.

Like you; I hadn't heard it run (been sitting for 20+ years...) and of course because of the bad wires I didn't even dare hook up the battery much less start it up...the wires definetly needed attention if I was to proceed.

So; after asking here...I learned that I could indeed buy an internal wiring harness for about $100.00. I decided not to do that and went ahead and replaced each wire individually...splicing and soldering as I went. Turned out fine.

It also turned out that the motor runs great...I'm enjoying the boat...and if I had it all to do over again (and if I knew then what I know now) I would have bought the new harness and would have ended up with a neater job that probably would have been better electrically as well. But my splicing is holding up so far so good.

One thing I did find though...that even if I had bought the harness...there are other wires going to the Stator and Trigger that are not included in the harness...and those wires (at least on my motor) are molded directly into the Stator and Trigger...not easily replaced as they would be if they ended at screw terminals. Bad design there....I'll eventually have to replace the trigger and stator if those related wires get bad enough.

As for the rating/strength of your 700...I'd say from what I've learned that it's a cool older motor.....not gonna win any awards these days...will probably use more gas than something new...be noisier than something new....weigh a bit **LESS** than something new.....and will probably require a fair amount of fiddling to keep it running well...

If I were you...I'd get it running as cheaply as you can (replace the wires...clean the carbs, replace the water pump, service the LU lube...etc) and see what you've got. Then; if it runs well...look for a similiar vintage boat to put it on...to end up with a eye-catching 60's boat and motor combo.

Good Luck.....let us know what happens.

Chuck

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

I don't beleive that I have the direct reverse model. This is probably as close as I can get! Mine has been painted black but you can see in some places that the origional white was painted over. Mine also doesn't have the origional Mercury decals on the wrap around cowling. I have to agree I think it looks better in white too.8)

The title say 1962, 75 HP.

Now.................. What I'm hearing is that the motor may in all reality may be able to run again? Sounds like rerunning all of the wires next winter may be a viable option. I probably have enough wire laying around t rewire it with out buying anything. That way all I'll be out is my time and a few staycons.

Keep in mind this is my over simplified redneck version of how to work on an outboard. First let me say I do have a manual for this motor. However it is the 3.5-150HP version. Can you recommend a GOOD manual for this motor? Secondly, I would think if the motor has good compression (which it does) then all the rest is down hill? Maybe rebuilding the carbs will be in order, along with the electrical stuff and we should be in business?

What would be a reasonable amount of money to expect to spend on this motor before it becomes counter productive?

Thanks for all your help!

Lowell

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lowell,

Some of the electrical (ignition) parts can get expensive...as well as being tough to find; depending on what (if anything) you find you might need (besides wiring)

Use marine grade wire; you might find that soldering onto those corroded remains might be a bit challenging.....but remember...all you are really doing is making it electrically safe in order to test run it. You can always splurge with a new harness once you get to the point where you feel it's worth it to sink more $$$ into it.

The other potential problem area is seals. I got off lucky here...all my LU seals are OK...and and no other issues presented themselves which would have required higher skill level (and expensive) mechanics to help me out.

First and foremost...you have to **WANT** to do it. Forget the monetary issues and just ask yourself whether you **WANT** to invest the time and effort into what will be essentially a learning experience.

As for the manual...most any of the generic manuals like the Clymer and Seloc are pretty much worthless.....try to get the genuine Merc manual. I think the OLDMercs site listed above sell them. I got mine used on e-bay for $20.00. You just need to get the correct part number for the manual so you know the right one when you see it.

http://www.oldmercs.com/manuals.html

Like you say..having good compression is the most important thing...if your lower unit is also in good working order...most anything else that you're likely to encounter is minor by comparison.

Keep us posted! Chuck

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there any way I can check the seals on the lower unit before I get into this too far? I checked the oil and it had nice clean oil in it. beyond that I'm at a loss.

You're exactly right about the wiring it to try to get it to fire. That's really all I'm shooting for. Once I can see that I have a viable motor then I can justify more money. Cheap is the word until I can get it to fire. If it will run then I can regroup and sink more money into it as need be (starting with the wiring harness). You mentioned the ignition parts, any pointers on checking them out before I start? Or do you have to wait until it doesn't start to trouble shoot them?

Thanks again,
Lowell

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lower units can be pressure tested. Try a search here and you should be able to find some info...

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OhioLowell said:
Sounds like rerunning all of the wires next winter may be a viable option.

Lowell

Next Winter???? What about this winter? Or is it summer where you live? Either way...doesn't seem like you're too anxious to get things going; eh? :)

You should definately service your carburetors. You have what; three of them? Keep in mind that your engine receives all of its lubrication through the fuel. If one of more of your carbs is delivering too lean a mixture it can be rapid death for those cylinders. In multi carb engines its often hard to tell from how the engine is running whether the mixture is OK or not. Not something you want to take a chance on.

Chuck

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In response to your initial question of "What would you do"....

I would first find and buy a boat before investing any time or money into the motor you already have. I seems to me that most used boats for sale usually include a motor and it might be slim pickings finding a used boat for sale that you like where a motor is not already included. You might have better luck finding a used boat & motor combination for sale that you like, in which case you may not want to keep your old motor.

Just a thought...

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have a trigger and or a stator in your motor you might want to look at those items also mine were bad and cost almost 200 that covered about half of the wiring in my 79 80hp merc

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SeaKaye12 said:
OhioLowell said:
Sounds like rerunning all of the wires next winter may be a viable option.

Lowell

Next Winter???? What about this winter? Or is it summer where you live? Either way...doesn't seem like you're too anxious to get things going; eh? :)

I've got my hands full right this momment, and the fish are biting. http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=26;gtid=1266127

I suppose I ment this winter? lol

I actually have an old Thunderbird sitting in one of our yards. I would like to get it back in the water someday? This motor would be a nice addition to the boat.

Thanks,
Lowell