How to get wax off??

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well, for now i am giving up on making my gelcoat in the back look real good. I have wet-sanded, compounded, waxed. NOW, I need to take a step back and get the wax OFF so I can put my lettering (boat name) on there!

So.... how do I prep the surface for self-adhesive lettering? I assume clean and wax-free is what i want, but I've never done it before. They are vinyl type letteres with front and back peel-off strips i think.

Thanks as always.

Coors

Captain
Re: How to get wax off??

An automotive paint store will have a good cleaner.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Acetone...thanks. I have that. YES!!!! and easy boat job....finally.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Make sure that you use a clean cloth and change it frequently else you will be moving the wax from one place to another.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Tail_Gunner said:
Acetone one or two wipes and she's gone, :devil:

Depending on the wax..that is not correct.

Interlux makes a Wax stripper.

b4 you take the backing off your name I suggest you get the whole thing up there ( With backing still on..1. tape it to possision. 2. mark with pencil some "locators" on your graphic and hull. 3. spray some windex all over the area b4 you peel your backing 4. peal and lay on with your "locator" marks 5. take a plastic spreader with a paper towel wrapped on the blade and sqeegie the thing well. 6. remove backing carfully and sqeegie any left over bubbles out ) :)

YD.

Aquaman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

tmh said:
I need to take a step back and get the wax OFF so I can put my lettering (boat name) on there!

PPG/Ditzler DX-330 or DX-440.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yacht said:
Tail_Gunner said:
Acetone one or two wipes and she's gone, :devil:

Depending on the wax..that is not correct.

Interlux makes a Wax stripper.

b4 you take the backing off your name I suggest you get the whole thing up there ( With backing still on..1. tape it to possision. 2. mark with pencil some "locators" on your graphic and hull. 3. spray some windex all over the area b4 you peel your backing 4. peal and lay on with your "locator" marks 5. take a plastic spreader with a paper towel wrapped on the blade and sqeegie the thing well. 6. remove backing carfully and sqeegie any left over bubbles out ) :)

YD.

Ummm ok i'm game what wax can hold up to acetone?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

gunner..if that was a sincere question I would answer..but I will not Indulge your sparings..

I know what Im talking about. acetone is not a sure thing for removing waxes. oh..yea..forgot the IMHO ..

Dont spar. Im tired.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yacht said:
gunner..if that was a sincere question I would answer..but I will not Indulge your sparings..

I know what Im talking about. acetone is not a sure thing for removing waxes. oh..yea..forgot the IMHO ..

Dont spar. Im tired.

Actually im sincere, i was actually schocked to find out laquer thinner is not suffeicnt to deal with gel coat aka clear the lines on a gun that was used to shoot it.

I used to have a fairly rounded backround in wood finishing, i have none in epoxy or marine trade......watching Interlux self level is a amazing thing to me.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Unfortunatly Styrene is one of the best dewaxer...

bad bad bad stuff..but then again..everything is in this industry heheh :)

and yea..acetone is the best to flush any polyester/vinyl resins

yd

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Sorry, your experience's far out weigh mine, but i've just spent more than 12 hours preping a boat for a few painted stripe's and i will say this now....... Never use Acetone for cleaning wax off a hull proir to painting...never unless you have skill's that will allow you to do as such.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Any quality auto paint store..
PPG "Acryli-Clean"..wax and grease remover DX300' Pro's use it..Acetone evaporates to quickly..

KRS

Banned

How did you remove the wax before you wet sanded, compounded, and rewaxed?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Never did, I am painting a few stripe's on the boat, Twice i gave the boat a very liberal bath and wipe down using acetone,did not work at all. Im about to reshoot again after two bath's and wipe's with Xylene and wax remover.......:eek:

KRS

Banned

Never did, I am painting a few stripe's on the boat, Twice i gave the boat a very liberal bath and wipe down using acetone,did not work at all. Im about to reshoot again after two bath's and wipe's with Xylene and wax remover.......:eek:

Hey TG. I was asking the original poster about how he removed the wax before he sanded, etc.

PS. I like your boat white.

RobDennis

Recruit

if you want to get wax off without using chemicals then jsut use soem dawn dish washing soap. it will clean all the wax off.
Rob