82 80hp vs 79 80hp merc?

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
anyone know what if any differance between the 2 years. what is a fair price for a motor running and not running is the nada.com price guide good to go by?

thanks duff

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 82 80hp vs 79 80hp merc?

design of graphic on the cowl wrap around.

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not trying to be stupid but you are saying that there is nothing differnt about them i could take the power head from one and swap it with the lower unit with out any problems if i needed? anything different about the electroncs in side the cowling?

just want to make sure as i can get a motor as a spare of for parts just want to make sure it will work.

duff

Smig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have the serial numbers, go to mercruiserparts.com or dougrussel.com and compare the part numbers.

Happy browsing,
Smig

PS: Post back, I'd be curious to hear what you find

duff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i do not have the serial # for the 1982 and don't know where to find it on mine. it looks like the part that mounts to the boat and motor together are different the mount is mariner and the motor is merc. so the serial # is not matching. is there some where else I could find the serial # for the motor? i did go to crowleymarine.com and use the parts break down catalog to look up the power head case and all major electronic parts all match part #'s including the carbs. should be worth getting as parts motor if not to rebuild as a spare.

duff