shifting after putting lower unit together

tom nelsonc

Cadet
Hi, I replaced my water pump in a 1989, 8ph merc. after putting it back togethger I have a shifting issue, it will shift to all three positions fwd , neutral, rev. in fwd the prop will spin one direction , in neutral it will spin in both dir. in rev it will not move at all. The shifting rod seems to go to the correct spot. I put a drop op paint on the prop shaft pin and it made contact on the high part of the wedged piece on the shift rod. I'm stuck and need some help, thanks. Tom

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: shifting after putting lower unit together

You don't have a problem. In F, there is an overrun clutch in the lower unit that allows the engine to slow down faster than the prop does. This locks in one direction and slips (clicks) in the other.

In N obviously, you don't want the prop to turn.

In R there is no overrun clutch and once you lock the dog it's there, hence if the engine is stopped, so is the prop. Just don't force it into R. Slowly rotate the prop by hand when moving the shift lever into R if the engine is not running to prevent damage to the shifter. In F and N it doesn't matter.

Go out and have fun.

Mark

tom nelsonc

Cadet

Texasmark said:
You don't have a problem. In F, there is an overrun clutch in the lower unit that allows the engine to slow down faster than the prop does. This locks in one direction and slips (clicks) in the other.

In N obviously, you don't want the prop to turn.

In R there is no overrun clutch and once you lock the dog it's there, hence if the engine is stopped, so is the prop. Just don't force it into R. Slowly rotate the prop by hand when moving the shift lever into R if the engine is not running to prevent damage to the shifter. In F and N it doesn't matter.

Go out and have fun.

Mark

tom nelsonc

Cadet

Mark, thanks for the info, i'll feel better running it knowing everything is good. Tom