wet-sanding/compounding didn't work. Polyiglow? veriglass? other ideas?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, I've read all sorts of good and bad reviews for these type products, but I can't get the chaulky look out of from the transom section on my 20 yr old gelcoat with wet-sanding, compounding, etc. It may be the gelcoat is worn thru a bit, I can't tell, but when it's not wet it looks very chaulky and wetsanding (800,1000,1200 grit) then compounding doesn't help AT ALL, it may look worse. I have no history of the boat so who know what's been done over 20 yrs.

Anyways, I really have a deep maroon and off-white color scheme. Obviously, it's the deep maroon that looks crappy. Most of the boat looks OK, just the transom area where the boat name was looks very chaulky. It may be it was over-sanded to try and get the name outline off. I am considering using polyglow/veriglass/whatever on this area. It's only 8' by 1' wide so not a big job.

Do those types of products keep the gelcoat looking like it does when it's wet? Mine looks OK when wet (not great, but plenty good enough). The chailk shows through quickly as it dries. Is this a proper application for those products?

Keep in mind, it's a 20 yr. old boat that I'd like to have look good BUT I can live with any decent results. I'll just keep it like it is rather than any major surgery like e-gelcoat or painting. It's not being restored as a showpiece or the like. If there's a reasonably easy way to get it looking better, I'll do it. I've herd that there is lots of prep work for polyglow/veriglass, but being a very small area maybe it's not too bad.

The rest of the boat compounded out pretty well and is waxed now. It's fine.

Thanks a ton.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wet-sanding/compounding didn't work. Polyiglow? veriglass? other ideas?

tmh - you can use either product there. I have used both with similar results. The Vertglas has a higher initial shine, but does not last as long as the Poli-Glow.

The secret is, buy the kit that comes with the cleaner & pads. Then clean the area VERY well - they give you a white scrubber pad & you can see the gelcoat color coming off it when you are getting close. If you put the finish over a stained or oxidized surface, you will just have shiny dirt.

I don't think it's too much work - you don't really have to press hard when scrubbing & the cleaners they supply work surprisingly well.

Putting the finish on, it will look like the first 2 or 3 coats are doing nothing, but they are soaking in & filling up the gelcoat micropores. After you put on 4 or 5 coats, it will begin to give you the shine.

With Vertglas it's best to take it completely off to re-do (probably after 2 seasons). Poli-Glow you can just clean up & put on a refresher coat before you put it up for the winter & it will be good for the whole next year.

Granted, it will never look like BRAND-new (unless you re-paint or re-gel coat the whole thing) but I've always been happy with the results - mine is getting to be 19 yrs old.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm starting to wonder just where i am on the transom section of my gelcoat. When I wet-sanded with 1000 grit, lots of red color was running down to the white below. Even getting color up when compounding. Still don't see the chaulky/white stuff going away at all. Could it be that my gelcoat is just shot?

I just wonder if i CAN get the oxidation off or even if it is oxidaton I am seeing. It looks Ok for a few seconds when wet, so there is some color left.... I'm worried because you and the poliglow folks say that the prep is critical...."get the color uniform, don't worry about the shine" is what the poliglow folks told me about the prep. Will I be able to do this with their product (Poliprep) when wet-sanding and compound didn't do it?

Thanks for the help. I may wait until later in spring to tackle this one! I have my floor out and all that "stuff' to put back together just to get on the water!

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you post a couple of pictures (from a couple of angles) so we can see what you have?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There is a product called Penatrol that is marketed as a leveling agent for paint. It can be used to restore the luster (but not a mirror shine) in faded fiberglass. You wipe it on and wipe it off. Try it on an inconspicuous area first. Penatrol is a great product and is available in the paint section of most large home suppy stores. I also use it for rust prevention on my trailer - - and I have been dunking trailers in salt water for over 30 years.